Ohio State redshirt freshman quarterback Tate Martell (18) prepares to run a play in the second half of the game against Michigan on Nov. 24. Ohio State won 62-39. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

The quarterback battle between Ohio State redshirt sophomore quarterback Tate Martell and recent Georgia transfer, freshman quarterback Justin Fields officially has come to an end before it ever really started.

On Wednesday, Martell announced he will be transferring from Ohio State to the University of Miami six days after he entered his name into the transfer portal.

Martell visited Miami and West Virginia before ultimately selecting the Hurricanes.

On Dec. 30, Martell was asked about Fields, who was rumored at the time to be looking at the Buckeyes as a location to transfer if redshirt sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins decided to go to the NFL Draft.

At the time, Martell voiced no doubt about his position on the team if Haskins were to leave, saying he was “100 percent sure” he would be the starter if that time came.

Fields announced his transfer to the program on Jan. 4. Martell put his name in the transfer portal six days later.

Martell saw time in six games this season, finishing 2018 completing 23-of-28 passes for 269 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed for 128 yards and two touchdowns on 22 carries.

The redshirt freshman’s highlight performance came against Rutgers, where Martell completed all 10 passes for 121 yards and a touchdown, including a 51-yard score to redshirt senior wide receiver Terry McLaurin. Martell also rushed eight times for 95 yards and a touchdown in the 52-3 win.

A four-star prospect out of high school, Martell went 45-0 as a high-school starter at Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas, finishing No. 2 in the state in all-time passing yards and passing touchdowns.

Ohio State has Fields, junior Chris Chugunov and freshman Matthew Baldwin left at the quarterback position following Martell’s transfer.

Fields is awaiting confirmation that he will be able to play in 2019, forgoing the usual transfer rule that requires players to sit out a season between transferring schools.