Kathy and Eric Rausch standing in front of a few of their pieces on display at the Cultural Arts Center Loft Gallery. Credit: Oliver Boch | Lantern reporter

In a nook of the Loft Gallery on the third floor of the Cultural Arts Center, mother-son duo Kathy and Eric Rausch are lit by the glow of spotlights that illuminate their exhibition, “That’s Where I Get It!”

Kathy’s large paintings of intricate mandalas hang on the walls, and on the pedestals that stand between each piece sit Eric’s ceramics — shattered, cracked and seemingly broken.

Kathy said the exhibition’s title is a reference to the artistic relationship she and her son share.

Kathy has been creating art since she was in college, and Eric began working with ceramics in high school. Kathy’s paintings are almost all mandalas — intricate, circular designs that feature organic forms.

“It always starts with a circle, and it gets into sacred geometry,” she said. “On top of that perfect mathematical creation, then there’s the organic stuff that happens.”

The pieces that Eric displayed work in tandem with his mother’s paintings and are different from his usual pottery: bowls, cups and plates.

“These are more raw creativity for me,” he said. “It’s about the clay.”

Eric said he begins creating his pieces by focusing on the surface and how the clay will respond to the processes of firing and glazing. Then his focus shifts to how the time and effort of this creation allows him to explore deeper thoughts.

These experimental works are his “humble attempt to emulate what the earth does,” noting his exploration of how geologic processes take months to create. He said his work is usually circular, but this form gives him a break from the usual.

Kathy said she was in a dark place when mandalas came into her life — a time she needed them most.

Kathy attended an art show featuring mandalas, with each piece including statements on how this work helped artists get through hard times in their lives. She said the show was a spiritual awakening.

“They were really moving, and I said, ‘Whatever this is, I’m in.’” she said.

Since her introduction to the world of mandalas, Kathy has written a book about the art form titled, “Activate Divine Creativity: The Life Changing Magic of the Mandala.” She also holds classes that teach “the art of the mandala,” and occasionally gives talks about how beneficial the creative process can be.

Eric holds regular pottery classes at the Cultural Arts Center. Beverly Gordon, who has been taking classes there since 1984, said Eric has truly changed the experience at the center.

“He has really taken this place to another level,” Gordon said

Gordon said not only does Eric make an impact as a teacher, but she appreciates his work.

“When he first started here, he was doing a lot of experimentation. I’m thinking, ‘What is he doing?’ But as he experiments, for me anyway, it sort of helps me think outside of the box and experiment, too,” Gordon said. “You don’t have to worry about failing. It’s not failure, it’s just another lesson.”

“That’s Where I Get It!” will be on display in the Cultural Arts Center through Jan. 31.