Ohio State freshman quarterback Justin Fields speaks to the media for the first time on National Signing Day on Feb. 6. Credit: Colin Gay | Sports Editor

Ohio State has officially gained its third quarterback heading into next season.

Freshman quarterback Justin Fields has been granted eligibility heading into the 2019-20 academic year, allowing him to play for Ohio State in the upcoming season.

“I am happy for Justin and his family,” Ohio State head coach Ryan Day said in a release. “I also want to express my appreciation to the NCAA for its assistance in getting this matter resolved efficiently and with such a positive outcome for Justin.”

Fields transferred from Georgia and committed to the Buckeyes on Jan. 4, but would typically be forced to sit out a season due to transfer rules.

“I thank God for His guidance during this time of uncertainty,” Fields said in a statement. “I would like to thank the NCAA for its approval of the waiver allowing me to be eligible to play football this fall.  I also want to thank all those who supported and encouraged my family and me during this process.”

Fields said that he and his family did not feel it was appropriate to speak publicly about the events that led to his transfer publicly while the decision was being made.

The former five-star quarterback applied for a transfer waiver application, allowing him to forgo sitting out a season due to problems at Georgia involving a baseball player who yelled a racial slur toward him during a game.

“I have no regrets about my time at UGA and have no hard feelings for the school or football program. My overall experience at UGA was fully consistent with UGA’s commitment to diversity and inclusion,” Fields said. “A part of me will always be a Georgia Bulldogs fan.”

On Wednesday, Fields said he wasn’t sure when a decision would be made on his waiver, and that he was hoping it would come soon.

“I don’t really control that. They do,” Fields said. “I’m just trying to get here to be the best quarterback I can be.”

At Georgia, Fields threw for 328 yards and four touchdowns, while rushing for 266 yards and four touchdowns in limited time throughout his freshman season.

Fields said in his statement he “will not be speaking” on the subject of his transfer moving forward, instead focusing his attention to the upcoming season.

“To Buckeye Nation: thank you for your warm welcome,” Fields said. “I will work hard to represent you and The Ohio State University in a professional and respectful manner.  My dad always tells me that ‘you can’t get to where you are going by looking in the ‘rear view mirror.’’ I’m ready to move forward and embrace the next season of my life.”