After meeting with the media for the first time as a member of Ohio State, it still remains unseen whether freshman quarterback Justin Fields will be eligible to play in the upcoming season.

On Wednesday, Fields said he doesn’t have a timetable on when the decision from the NCAA on if he will be granted eligibility to play in 2019, but he’s hoping a decision will happen sooner rather than later.

“I don’t really know anything, but I do hope I’m eligible this year to play, and so we’ll just see what happens,” Fields said.  “I’m hoping soon, so we can just get all this over with, and I can just really just focus on the team and getting better.”

Fields announced he would be leaving Georgia to come to Ohio State on Jan. 4, and would typically be forced to sit out the 2019 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

But Fields is applying for a waiver to become immediately eligible to play, using an incident when a Georgia baseball player used a racial slur directed toward Fields as the major factor in the case.

The case is being ran by Tom Mars, who helped Michigan junior quarterback Shea Patterson gain immediate eligibility, and Fields is letting Mars control the situation, while he hopes to just move on from his previous school.

I just don’t want to really talk about Georgia, I really just want to keep all my focus on Ohio State,” Fields said. “I’d really rather not kind of talk about why I left, I’d rather just talk about this upcoming season, and kind of the upcoming goals me and this team have to try to accomplish this year.”

Though there were no updates on the situation, Fields said he was focused on “next season” and preparing to work with head coach Ryan Day and the offense.

Mars told The Lantern the case was in “crunch time” on Jan. 9, but regardless, Fields isn’t letting the case get to him.

For now, he is focused on his new school, getting to know his new coaches and teammates, and worrying about the factors he can control.

“Growing up, I’ve always learned to control the controllables, so I mean, I know I can’t control what the NCAA decides, so my focus is just on this team and getting better.”