Home » Campus » How to pay for graduate school

How to pay for graduate school

Ohio State offers graduate students a variety of methods for financial help through fellowships, scholarships and graduate assistantships. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

Paying for graduate school can be a daunting investment — financial aid and scholarships are different than during undergrad and there are not as many resources to walk graduate students through the process of securing funds.

Alicia Bertone, vice provost for graduate studies and dean of the graduate school at Ohio State, said there are still several ways Ohio State graduate students can receive money toward furthering their education.

Ohio State graduate students can receive financial help for graduate school through fellowships, scholarships and graduate assistantships.

Fellowships are awarded through competition by specific colleges and are sponsored by outside funds. They come with not only money for tuition, but with an excellent health plan as well, Bertone said.

Bertone said the competition-based fellowships are awarded to students who have been recruited by their colleges to compete, while the specific college fellowships are appointed on merit. The outside-sponsored fellowships come from specific external programs depending on the college.

Students who meet certain diversity criteria have a few extra fellowship opportunities. Bertone said the Summer Research Opportunities Program, which is offered through the Big Ten Academic Alliance, is something that certain students can apply and qualify for depending on their ethnicity and race.

“Graduate education is enhanced by an inclusive environment of all graduate students, and having a diverse environment helps everyone that is in the program,” Bertone said.

Graduate assistantships can be based in administration, research or teaching. The different assistantships have varying roles associated with them depending on the college, but they are all forms of employment, Bertone said. Most assistantships require 20 hours of work per week.

Scholarships can come through a specific college or the graduate school itself, Bertone said.  She said the individual colleges at Ohio State offer the largest number of scholarships, but the graduate school does have a few available, with one being the ENGIE-Axium scholarship, which will be available starting this year.

This scholarship is among eight other endowment funds that are “part of the academic collaboration agreement between the university and Ohio State Energy Partners LLC,” according to an Ohio State news release.

While many students do receive some type of scholarship, Bertone said that scholarships are not usually the primary source of funding for graduate students, and that fellowships and graduate assistantships typically carry more weight.

There are several ways to learn about the application processes of these options, but Bertone said she encourages students to meet with their program coordinator or someone at the graduate school office.

Application processes and opportunities change depending on the college, so it is important to be in touch with the people specific to their program, Bertone said, and that people at the graduate school office oversee each of the different funding options and are a great resource for students with questions. The graduate school offices are located at 250 University Hall, at 230 N. Oval Mall.

More information about funding, fellowships and assistantships can be found on the graduate school’s website.

One comment

1. Scholarship is an irregular financial assistance in the form of payment of tuition fees, and sometimes the issuance of a monthly allowance to students, as a rule, secondary specialized and higher educational institutions, as well as graduate students and doctoral students. A scholarship is a financial aid that not all students can receive. A scholarship it is such a help that only the smartest students who are high school students who study 24 hours 7 days a week receive.
    Scholarships are an easier task if the student is ready to read. If the student is ready to deceive the system of distribution of scholarships between students, then the scholarship will not be granted already. Students who are ready for cheating and those who are ready to use external forces can use services from companies like this paperial.com (that proposes buy college essays online for all students that have problems with writing some essays for colleges) to obtain scholarships which offers writing editing services.
    In conclusion, I want to say that the scholarship does not have to become money that children can receive who will spend it on homework from professionals in order to get high marks in order to get a scholarship.