Senior forward Mason Jobst races for a loose puck during the first period of Ohio State’s hockey game vs. Michigan on Jan. 11. Ohio State lost 2-1. Credit: Nick Hudak | For The Lantern

Despite losing its first game of the series, the Ohio State men’s hockey team (19-8-5, 12-6-4 Big Ten)  tied Michigan (13-12-7, 9-8-5 Big Ten) on Saturday, securing the regular season Big Ten title.

Game 1

In a tight, grueling battle on Friday, Michigan would take the 4-2 win against Ohio State in Game 1 of the weekend series.  

In the third period, what proved to the the turning point of the game, Michigan scored three times, twice within the last four minutes, ending its tie with the Buckeyes and securing them the win.

The Buckeyes, meanwhile, were only able to net one goal in the third period when junior forward Tanner Laczynski, with an assist from senior forward Freddy Gerard, shot a puck past the Michigan defense.

Ohio State senior forward Mason Jobst managed to score the first goal of the night, his 17thgoal of the season, within the first five minutes of the second period, giving the Buckeyes the upper hand after nearly 25 minutes of stalemate. Michigan responded with only 2.4 seconds left on the clock, however, and managed to tie it up.

In the first period, Ohio State came out on top in terms of shots, doubling Michigan’s shot total 10-5.

Game 2

After recording a 3-3 tie at the end of regulation, Jobst recorded a goal in a one-on-one matchup against Michigan freshman goalie Strauss Mann in second overtime, earning the point to secure Ohio State’s Big Ten regular season championship.  In the second period, Ohio State senior forward Brendon Kearney broke the 1-1 tie and scored with 17:07 left in the period. This was followed up minutes later when senior forward John Wiitala scored Ohio State’s last goal of the night on a power play. The Wolverines only managed one goal in the last half of the second period, keeping them down 3-2 going into the third.

Ohio State was again able to score the first goal of the night.Following Michigan receiving a major penalty, junior forward Carson Meyer started the night off in a convincing manner when his puck found its way past the Wolverines defense and into the net 11:54 into the game. With less than five minutes left on the clock, though, Michigan was able to tie the game up 1-1 heading into the second period.

Halfway through the third period,, the Wolverines netted their last goal of the match. While Ohio State was not able to score any goals in the period, it was able to kill a major penalty in the last five minutes despite being down a player, securing the Buckeyes a tie game at the end of regulation,

Ohio State will end the regular season against Michigan State at home on Friday at 6:30 p.m and Saturday at 5:00 p.m.