Ohio State Seniopr Vice President for Student Life Javaune Adams-Gaston announced Friday that she would be leaving the university. Credit: Lantern file photo

Ohio State Senior Vice President for Student Life Javaune Adams-Gaston announced in a press release on Friday that she would be leaving her position to become president at Norfolk State University.

Adams-Gaston, who will remain with Ohio State through mid-June, has been with the university since 2009 and in that time helped create the Second Year Transformational Experience Program, and according to the press release oversaw a period where student organizations grew from 993 to 1,381, with 81 percent of undergraduate students currently engaged in some type of involvement activity.  

“My time at Ohio State has been some of the most rewarding of my career,” Adams-Gaston said. “It has been an honor to be a part of the lives of thousands of Buckeyes and to help craft a co-curricular experience that is challenging, supportive and transformative.”

In a statement, University President Michael Drake thanked Adams-Gaston — affectionately known as Dr.J — and congratulated her on her new job.

“Our students are the heart of our university, and the work of Javaune and her team has focused on supporting Buckeyes for a decade,” Drake said. “We will all miss Dr. J and wish her the very best in her new and exciting opportunity.”