Ohio State redshirt freshman pitcher Seth Lonsway (11) throws a pitch in the Buckeyes’ game against Hawaii on March 23. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

Long games and strong pitching defined the Ohio State baseball team’s (16-12, 2-1 Big Ten) series victory against Rutgers (7-17, 1-2 Big Ten).

Game 1

Ohio State redshirt junior second baseman Matt Carpenter shined as he delivered the winning hit for Buckeyes in Big Ten opener.

Ohio State (15-11, 1-0 Big Ten) defeated Rutgers (6-16, 0-1 Big Ten) 5-3 in 11 innings on Friday. Carpenter provided four hits and two RBI for a Buckeye squad that tallied 14 hits.

In the 11th inning, Carpenter was able to deliver a single to left-center field off a full-count pitch to put the Buckeyes up two runs.

In the second inning, an RBI single from Ohio State junior right fielder Dominic Canzone pushed the score to 3-1. Canzone would finish the game with three hits and an RBI.

Down one run heading into the ninth inning, the Scarlet Knights were able to tie up the game after a throwing error.

Freshman pitcher Garrett Burhenn provided Ohio State with a solid seven-inning start,allowing only two runs and six hits in his seventh start of the season.

The win would be given to Ohio State junior pitcher Andrew Magno, who pitched three innings and allowed one run.

Game 2

Ohio State redshirt freshman pitcher Seth Lonsway had a complete-game shutout to extend the Buckeyes’ win streak to three.

Two early runs were enough for Lonsway’s strong performance, and the Buckeyes were able to take the second game of the weekend. Ohio State (16-11, 2-0 Big Ten) outlasted Rutgers (6-17, 0-2 Big Ten) 2-0 in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader.

After producing an11-strikeout performance back on March 11 in a loss against Bethune-Cookman, Lonsway  fanned a career-high 12 in the win.

While allowing only three hits, Lonsway moved to 4-2 on the season.

The only scoring play came off a single crack of the bat from Ohio State senior left fielder Brady Cherry, who launched a two-run home run in the first inning, his seventh of the season.

Ohio State redshirt senior center fielder Ridge Winand was able to deliver four hits in four at bats.

Rutgers redshirt junior pitcher Tommy Genuario received his first loss of the season despite allowing only two runs in seven innings of work.

Game 3

Despite a valiant effort from freshman pitcher Will Pfennig, the Buckeyes were unable to complete the sweep against Rutgers.

In the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader, Ohio State (16-12, 2-1 Big Ten) fell to Rutgers (7-17, 1-2 Big Ten) 3-2 in 15 innings. Pfennig was able to provide seven scoreless innings of relief, but a single by Scarlet Knights senior catcher Tyler McNamara ended the game’s 11-inning scoreless streak and gave Rutgers its first win of the series.

McNamara finished the game with four hits on seven at bats. His only RBI came on his walk-off single.

Relief pitching carried the day for both teams. Rutgers allowed four hits and no runs in nine innings of relief.

Like the second game of the series, Cherry produced Ohio State’s only offense with a two-run home run. Cherry now leads the team with eight home runs on the season.

Ohio State will return home to play Cincinnati at 6:35 p.m. Wednesday.