Home » Campus » Campus area crime map Feb. 25 – March 3

Campus area crime map Feb. 25 – March 3

A burglary was reported to the Columbus Division of Police as having occurred between 2:30 p.m. Feb. 24 and 9 a.m. Feb. 26 at an East 14th Avenue residence near North Fourth Street. According to the online police log, unknown suspects entered the victim’s residence through the back door, taking $50,000 of property, including more than 200 pieces of electronic and gaming items.

A theft from a motor vehicle was reported to the Columbus Police as having occurred between midnight and 6 a.m. Feb. 25 on Chittenden Avenue near Summit Street. According to the online police log, unknown person(s) smashed the front passenger window of the victim’s vehicle, taking $1,301 of property, including a laptop and a backpack.

A theft from a motor vehicle was reported to the Columbus Police as having occurred between midnight and 10 a.m. Feb. 25 on East 16th Street near Summit Street. According to the online police log, unknown person(s) broke the window of the victim’s vehicle and took $2,002 of property, including clothes, a laptop and a backpack.

A theft from a motor vehicle was reported to the Columbus Police as having occurred between 3:30 and 5:10 p.m. Wednesday around the corner of 12th Avenue and High Street. According to the online police log, the victim’s vehicle was broken into and $5,007 of property was taken, including a backpack, laptop, iPad and headphones.

An assault was reported to University Police as having occurred at 5:40 a.m. Friday at the Ohio Union bus stop.

An assault — knowingly harming the victim and engaging in a fight — was reported to University Police as having occurred at 2:06 p.m. Friday at the 18th Avenue Library.

An incident of criminal trespassing was reported to University Police as having occurred at 5:38 p.m. Friday at Hagerty Hall.

An assault was reported to University Police as having occurred at 4:05 p.m. Friday at Doan Hall.

A theft from a motor vehicle was reported to the Columbus Police as having occurred between midnight and 11 a.m. Sunday on East Norwich Avenue near Indianola Avenue. According to the online police log, someone entered the victim’s unlocked vehicle and took $1,075 in property, including a handgun, ammunition, a drill and hand tools.

1. “An assault — knowingly harming the victim and engaging in a fight — was reported to University Police as having occurred at 2:06 p.m. Friday at the 18th Avenue Library.

An assault was reported to University Police as having occurred at 4:05 p.m. Friday at Doan Hall.”

For a supposedly “safe” university, that’s a pretty high rate of assault. That too, on a SINGLE day. And who would have thought that this would occur at the LIBRARY and/or an academic building?

University ambassadors who give tours to high school seniors and their parents must either be getting paid off, OR they must be experts at brown-nosing. Because anyone with even a little bit of decency will tell you that OSU is nowhere NEAR safe.

So yeah, I’m not buying that being a university ambassador is a “volunteer” position. They must be getting paid GOOD money to blatantly lie to parents and/or high school seniors about the campus safety rate.

In fact, the CLOSEST they get is “Oh, it’s a city. All cities have problems.” No…And Spiderman isn’t real!

2. And if they’re trying to do this in order to NOT appear “weak,” and/or be “politically correct,” then give it a rest. I grew up in Baltimore and attended public schools there…Columbus is just as bad. So please stop with the lying. I GET that the rap music that college kids (including university ambassadors) listen to preaches being “ghetto” and/or “tough,” but this is someone’s life.

LYING to them about the safety rate of Ohio State University is just cruel. It’s dishonest business practice.

Funny…People at OSU whine about how Mexico is “dangerous,” yet having lived in both, I can tell you that a good majority of Mexican cities are safer than Columbus.