Comedian Bianca Moore takes the stage at the Here to Slay comedy show and resource fair hosted by Women Student Initiatives. Credit: Ambar Javier | Lantern Reporter

With only two weeks left of Women’s History Month, the Student Multicultural Center sought to empower women by hosting “Here to Slay,” a comedy show and resource fair.

The event, featuring local comedian Bianca Moore along with female-led student groups, was held Monday in the Great Hall Meeting Room in the Ohio Union.

“The idea was to create a resource fair where different student orgs that serve women can come together and collaborate,” Madison Eagle, intercultural specialist for Women Student Initiatives at the Student Multicultural Center, said.

Some of the groups in attendance included Ohio State’s Ladies of Leadership, Buckeyes ACT and Platform, all three of which had tables that provided students with information on becoming involved with their organizations.

The event was initially organized as a variety show to empower women, and when Eagle invited Moore to perform, she knew she could get the job done as the main act.

Moore has been doing stand-up comedy in Columbus for three years and was named “Best Newcomer” by ColumbusLaughs.com in 2016.

Raven Neal-Jackson, a fourth-year in human development and family sciences, as well as a student associate for Women Student Initiatives, said that Moore’s passion for gender equality and empowering women shined through her stage performance.

“I love the fact that [Moore] talked about her life and the experiences that made her into the woman that she is today but in a very funny way,” Neal-Jackson, said.

In her position, Neal-Jackson assisted with planning the events for Women’s History Month, but “Here to Slay” was her very own signature event.

She also had the responsibility of recruiting student organizations to participate and said she is very grateful of those who were in attendance.

“They did a really great job showing that when all of the groups come together, they’re stronger together,” she said.

Eagle expressed her passion for uniting the women at Ohio State by obtaining her position as intercultural specialist of Women Student Initiatives in August 2018.

“Before August, we didn’t have anyone specifically serving [female] students,” Eagle said. “My goal is to create a community for women on campus by being a resource for students, and connecting women with others who are doing like-minded things.”

That is exactly what the group intends to continue doing by hosting more events throughout the rest of the year.

Eagle encourages anyone interested to visit the Student Multicultural Center website where they can find a calendar of their upcoming events.