Then-sophomore attackman Jack Jasinski heads for the goal in the fourth quarter during the first round of the NCAA tournament against Loyola Maryland on May 14, 2017. Credit: Sheridan Hendrix | Former Oller Reporter

Ohio State lacrosse senior midfielder Jack Jasinski is currently the top point scorer for the Buckeyes, but the Alabama native is focused on helping his teammates and changing the way people see lacrosse in his home state.

Jasinski grew up in Birmingham, an area not known for lacrosse the way it is for football or basketball. His high school days weren’t normal due to him taking up the sport.

“It was very, very different. I think there are only 13 high school teams in the whole state for lacrosse,” Jasinski said.

Jasinski found lacrosse through his older brother, who decided to take up the sport while Jasinski was in the eighth grade. He was focused on baseball at the time, but decided to give lacrosse a chance.

“I didn’t expect it,” Jasinski said. “I was like, ‘I’ll probably still play baseball,’ and I ended [up] playing lacrosse, and I’ve pretty much never looked back.”

Now, as the top scorer for the Buckeyes with 26 points, Jasinski has become one of the most important players on the No. 4-ranked lacrosse team.

“He’s a guy that just continues to get better and better,” Ohio State head coach Nick Myers said.

Jasinski is usually one of the shortest players each time he takes the field, standing at 5 feet 7 inches, but his mentality has helped make him the top scorer of the only undefeated team left in the Top 25.

“I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder, just being from Alabama, just being from a small area,” Jasinski said.

His development has never been more evident than during this season. Jasinski broke onto the scene after an impressive junior season that was enough for him to be named on the Big Ten Watch List.

“When he got here, he was probably a little bit more raw than not,” Myers said. “But I think he’s really developed well into a lacrosse player.”

Not only has Jasinski made a difference to the stat sheet, he has also embraced the role of a leader that comes with being a senior.

Hei is one of seven seniors on the Ohio State roster that is making team culture a priority.

Despite not being named a captain, Jasinski still takes on that role and shows his support for the players named captains.

“The guys that were selected captains were selected because they’re really good leaders,” Jasinski said. ”I have nothing but support and praise. They’ve done a great job this year.”

Off the field, Jasinski took a service trip this past summer to help people in Puerto Rico.

“I went down there and was blown away, their culture there, the positivity they bring, they had gone through a lot in the past 24 months with hurricanes,” Jasinski said. “It gives you a good perspective like, ‘You know what? You don’t really have a lot to complain about here.’”

During the trip, Jasinski went to a village where it was difficult for the residents to get supplies in order to fix the houses affected by the hurricanes. He helped paint houses, give supplies, meet with local community members and hand out shoes to the kids who didn’t have any.

The senior midfielder credits that trip to Puerto Rico for changing him as a teammate and reminding himself that things could be much worse.

In the wake of graduation, Jasinski’s hopes to keep playing lacrosse as long as he can.

“If I get the opportunity, that’d be awesome,” Jasinski said.

With the Dallas Rattlers taking Jasinski with the 37th pick in the Major League Lacrosse draft, it looks like the undersized player from Alabama will get his opportunity.