No. 1 Myles Martin of Ohio State scores a single leg takedown on Mason Manville of Penn State in the 184-pound bout of the Ohio State-Penn State dual. Martin won the bout by major decision, 18-6. Ohio State lost the dual against Penn State 28-9. Credit: Sal Marandino | For The Lantern

The Ohio State wrestling team advances five wrestlers to the quarterfinals and all 10 wrestlers are still alive after Day One of the NCAA Championships.

No. 6 Ohio State (12-2, 7-2 Big Ten)  is currently in second place as a team, but are seven points behind first place Penn State, who has won the team title two years running. The Buckeyes have a chance to catch Penn State as the only team with the ability to still gain points in all 10 weight classes.

All top-5 seeds for the Buckeyes advance to the quarterfinals who will play a pivotal role in a potential comeback for Ohio State in the second day of the NCAA Championships.

Ohio State senior Myles Martin, the No. 1 seed in the country at 184 pounds, remained undefeated in dominant fashion to start his title hopes via pin against No. 32 Oregon State junior Bob Coleman.

Martin followed up his hot start with a 16-5 major decision over No. 16 Lock Haven redshirt junior Corey Hazel.

Ohio State redshirt senior Micah Jordan, the No. 2 seed in the country at 149 pounds, made quick work of No. 31 Northwestern junior Shayne Oster via pin in the first round.

Jordan used that momentum to win 17-4 by major decision againsts No. 15 Northern Iowa redshirt junior Max Thomsen to advance to the quarterfinals.

Ohio State senior Te’Shan Campbell, the No. 21 seed in the country at 165 pounds, pulled off the upset in the first round by decision shutting out No. 12 Drexel junior Ebed Jarrell 6-0. Campbell later lost a close 4-2 decision to No. 5 Lock Haven redshirt senior Chance Masteller and moved to the consolation bracket for day two.

Ohio State senior Joey McKenna and redshirt junior Kollin Moore, the No. 2 seeds in the country at 141 pounds and 197 pounds, respectively, both advanced to the quarterfinals with ease on Day One of the NCAA Championships.

McKenna defeated No. 31 Oregon State freshman Grant Willits by technical fall 20-5 in the first round, and then won by a 14-1 major decision against No. 15 Oklahoma State redshirt junior Kaid Brock.

Moore won both matches via major decision by first defeating No. 31 Buffalo redshirt junior Brett Perry 12-3 and then No. 18 Oklahoma redshirt freshman Jake Woodley 14-4.

Ohio State junior Luke Pletcher, the No. 5 seed in the country at 133 pounds, advanced to the elite eight with two victories.

Pletcher came out shooting often in a victory by major decision 12-3 against No. 28 Kent State junior Tim Rooney. Pletcher’s second match was a hard-fought win by decision against No. 12 Wyoming redshirt sophomore Montorie Bridges 5-3.

Ohio State redshirt freshman Chase Singletary, the No. 16 seed in the country at 285 pounds, almost pulled off the upset of the night in against No. 1 Oklahoma State redshirt senior Derek White, but lost by decision 5-2.

Singletary defeated No. 17 Nebraska junior David Jensen by a 3-0 decision before moving to the consolation bracket after his loss to White.

Ohio State redshirt junior Ke-Shawn Hayes advances to the second day of the NCAA Championships with a victory against No. 22 Ohio University redshirt junior Zac Carson by a 7-1 decision.

Hayes later fell to No. 6 Iowa sophomore Kaleb Young by a 14-2 major decision moving him into the consolation bracket for day two of the tournament.

Ohio State true freshman Malik Heinselman and redshirt freshman Ethan Smith, No. 25 and No. 19 seeds at 125 pounds and 174 pounds, respectively, lost there first ever matches in the NCAA Championships.

Both underclassmen bounced back winning in the first round of the consolation brackets to advance to day two of the tournament.

No. 6 Ohio State will attempt to gain ground in round three of the NCAA Championships starting at 11 a.m. Friday in Pittsburgh.