Ohio State junior outfielder Dominic Canzone (33) rounds second base after a hit in the Ohio State-Michigan game on April 12.Ohio State defeated Michigan 10-5. Photo: Braden Moles | Senior Reporter

The Ohio State baseball team pulled off the upset.

Ohio State (19-16, 3-4, Big Ten) opened its three-game series against its rival No. 24 Michigan (23-10, 4-2, Big Ten) with a 10-5 win at Bill Davis Stadium.

Coming off of two midweek wins against Ohio and Dayton, the Buckeyes kept the momentum going into Friday’s matchup against the Wolverines.

A homer in the top of the first from Michigan center fielder Jesse Franklin left Ohio State fired up after he stomped on home plate after running the bases.

“There’s something that we believe in in our locker room, and it’s called karma,” Ohio State head coach Greg Beals said. “We believe in karma. Take care of the game, do what you’re supposed to do, play with respect.”

After that, the Buckeyes took the reins of the game and didn’t look back.

Ohio State junior right fielder Dominic Canzone recorded a triple in the bottom of the third inning, eventually scoring on a sacrifice fly by senior second baseman Kobie Foppe. After taking a 2-1 lead in the third inning, Ohio State held the lead for the rest of the game.

Canzone was a major part of that offensive explosion. He recorded four hits in five at bats, hitting a solo home run, eighth of the season, in the eighth inning.

Errors and ball mishandlings hurt Michigan throughout the game, recording two errors against the Buckeyes.

In his first rival matchup of his career, Ohio State freshman pitcher Garrett Burhenn pitched 6.2innings, allowing three runs on six hits and two walks, striking out seven

“Garrett Burhenn the rookie, takes the ball on his first rivalry game and was up to the challenge,” Beals said.

Ohio State sophomore designated hitter Brent Todys proved to be a factor with his bat, hitting his fourth home run of the season in the fifth inning, scoring three.

With the offense Ohio State showed, Canzone was confident in the way the Buckeyes played in the first game of the series.

“We just played the best game of the year and we need to continue to build off that because that’s Buckeye baseball right there,” Canzone said.

The Buckeyes will continue the series at Bill Davis Stadium against Michigan on Saturday with a doubleheader beginning at 2:05 p.m.