An editorial shot of the Fashion Production Association 2018-2019 executive board. Credit: Courtesy of Sydney Smith

The future of fashion is approaching, and it’s making a stop at Ohio State.

The Ohio State Fashion Production Association is presenting “NEXT,” its annual fashion show where student designers showcase fashion collections inspired by what they believe will be the future of fashion, on Saturday.

After facility adviser Nancy Rudd suggested the theme, Rudd said the FPA executive board as well as its student members jumped at this idea to challenge their creativity.

The meaning of “NEXT” was interpreted by each design group in a different way. Evan Rymer, a fourth-year in communication, said his group suggested that future designs will use trends from the present day.

“My group decided that athleisure wear would still be around in the future. People want comfort while still being able to look good,” Rymer said.

Rymer took this idea to the next level by creating a menswear pants and top set with feminine silhouettes. With his pieces in the collection, Rymer said he hopes to challenge gender norms and show that anyone can wear anything.

This year’s show will set an FPA record with 86 pieces modeled on the runway. Rudd said this is representative of the growth of the organization over the years.

While designs were necessary to have a fashion show, Rudd said it couldn’t have happened without the work of the production team that collaborated to put together lighting, stage design, music and more.

“Production is really in charge of putting the show together,” Rudd said. “For the two semesters that we work on the show, they’re putting out ideas of what the show will look like aside from the garments.”

After working on the show for nine months, Rymer said the FPA team is ready to present its work to the public.

“I’m really excited to see everything come together, not only for myself, but all my friends,” Rymer said. “I’ve really been able to see everyone’s collection come together, and so seeing it on the runway is going to be amazing.”

Along with the show, there will be a silent auction where people can bid on a variety of prizes. The proceeds from the auction this year will go to Smiles with Style, a nonprofit that works to lift the spirits of hospitalized children, according to its website.

The show will be held at the Ohio Union in the Archie Griffin Ballroom at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Tickets can be purchased through Eventbrite. Student tickets are $10, and nonstudent tickets are $15. For more information, follow FPA on Instagram at @fpaatosu.