Now-Ohio State freshman quarterback Matthew Baldwin looks to throw while at Lake Travis High School in Austin, Texas. Credit: Courtesy of Shelia Parodi

Matthew Baldwin learned by watching.

Healing from an ACL injury suffered in the 2017 Texas 6A State Championship Game, all the then-freshman quarterback could do was watch Dwayne Haskins and Tate Martell, learning the offense through mental reps.

Even when he was fully healthy, then-quarterbacks coach Ryan Day did not want to put Baldwin in harm’s way, keeping him off the scout team, where he was exposed to players coming at his knees.

“He really wasn’t doing a whole bunch. It was all up here,” Day said, pointing to his head. “That wasn’t easy for him. It was a long fall, but it was the right thing to do because we didn’t want to expose him to getting hit.”

Baldwin said for all of this past season, he was getting the playbook down and getting an idea of what being a college quarterback is like in Day’s offensive system.

For the first time, Baldwin had a chance to actually play out those mental reps in spring practices.

Trading first-team reps at points with sophomore quarterback Justin Fields, Baldwin worked through everything, from short bubble-screen looks to tight ends to short slant routes to fly routes leading to acrobatic catches by freshman wide receiver and former Lake Travis teammate Garrett Wilson.

Day said this level of practice is something Baldwin has been doing since the bowl game, working on his transition from observing to performing.

“Bowl practice was big for him,” Day said. “He was able to get out there and start to get his feet underneath him and he is building his confidence every day. And I think the best practices he has had is probably the last four or five.”

Baldwin said his body feels 100 percent. He said there are points where the confidence in his right knee may waver, such as cutting with his left foot instead of planting his right, but that he is returning to what he was in high school.

And his overall confidence is back as well.

“Now Tate leaves and Justin comes in,” Baldwin said. “I guess he is kind of chasing me.”

However, Baldwin seems to know his role on the team. He seems to know which quarterback he is battling against. And he seems to be continuing to help Fields learn the playbook despite playing for the same position.

“He’s definitely a good quarterback and I’m just learning from him every day since he was here last year,” Fields said.

When looking at Baldwin, Day does not see the hobbled quarterback that took mental reps through the 2018 season. He sees a quarterback who is throwing the ball very well, who is improving and  challenging multiple members of the offense.

He sees the quarterback that led Lake Travis to the state title game. He sees a leader that could help Ohio State even if he is not named the starting quarterback.

“Just really impressed with the way he goes to work every day and that it’s not about, ‘What happens if I don’t win the job? Am I going to try and go somewhere else?’” Day said.  “No, he’s a Buckeye, and that’s very important. It’s important to our team.”

Baldwin had to wait his turn at Lake Travis, sitting behind Baker Mayfield for his chance as the starting quarterback. He had to wait behind Haskins this past season.

Even if Baldwin has to wait another season for an opportunity behind Fields, he said he knows patience pays off when he is where he is supposed to be.

“Mitch Trubisky is a great example. He only started one year, right? And he was a top 3 pick, No. 2,” Baldwin said. “I think patience is a very valuable thing, and if you are in the right place, I think you can get to where you want to be.”