Ohio State gives a shout out to the crowd after defeating Indiana 2-0 on March 24. Credit: Gretchen Rudolph | For The Lantern

The Ohio State softball team (28-14, 11-5 Big Ten) dominated this weekend, sweeping the three-game series against Michigan State. The Buckeyes have won seven straight games over Michigan State (15-27, 3-11 Big Ten) and extended their winning streak to five games.

Game 1

Ohio State overpowered Michigan State 15-6  in a six-inning run-rule victory. The Buckeyes scored a season-high 15 runs on 16 hits, recording two home runs in the contest. Michigan State scored first in the bottom of the first inning, earning a 5-0 lead with an RBI single, two-RBI double and two homers.

After Ohio State sophomore pitcher Lauren Rice failed to record an out in the first inning, being removed after three batters, senior pitcher Morgan Ray settled in. In her six innings of work, she struck out 13, a career high.

The Buckeyes then started to cut the deficit down. Sophomore designated player Kallie Boren blasted a three-run homer in the third inning, cutting the Spartans’ lead to two.

Senior second baseman Emily Clark gave Ohio State the lead with a two-RBI single in the fourth. Overall, she recorded four runs and five RBIs for the Buckeyes.

Ohio State further extended its lead to 13-6 with two five-run, four-hit innings.

Senior shortstop Lilli Piper’s solo home run and sophomore first baseman Niki Carver’s sacrifice fly added two more runs for the Buckeyes in the sixth inning. Piper tied her career highs with four runs scored.

Game 2

The offense failed to continue for the Buckeyes in the second game of the three-game set. But Ohio State still pulled off the 3-2 victory, scoring the tying and go-ahead runs in the sixth inning.

Ohio State scored first on a solo home run by Piper in the first inning. Michigan State soon got on the board and tied the game in the bottom of the first inning on an RBI single.

Trailing 2-1 after an RBI single by Michigan State freshman designated player Mackenzie Meech, Ohio State senior second baseman Emily Clark gave the lead back to the Buckeyes on a two-RBI double to right field in the sixth inning, locking the 3-2 win for the Buckeyes.

After not securing an out in the first game, Rice started the second game, allowing two runs on five hits, while striking out one and walking three.

Game 3

The Buckeyes used four home runs to end the series, beating Michigan State in an 11-1 five-inning game.

Ohio State got on the board as Piper singled up the middle to bring freshman left fielder Bri Betschel in. Clark scored on a grounder given by dropout Kallie Boren, earning a 2-0 lead.

Michigan State joined the scoring on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the second inning. Ohio State kept Spartans from scoring after that.

Piper and Clark each hit home runs, while  home runs, while sophomore first baseman Niki Carver homered to center field, extending the lead to 7-1 in the third inning.

In the fourth inning,Carver hit her second home run of the day, scoring three more runs for Ohio State.

Ohio State junior center fielder Spencer Sansom added one more run with a sacrifice fly, ending the game 11-1 in five innings.

Ohio State will return to Buckeye Field to take on Illinois April 26-28.