Gov. Mike DeWine appointed two new members to the Ohio State Board of Trustees on Friday. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine made two appointments to the Ohio State Board of Trustees Friday.  

Lewis Von Thaer and Jeff Kaplan will serve on the Board for a term beginning May 14 and ending May 13, 2028.

“Ohio State appreciates Gov. DeWine’s consideration in making these appointments to the Board of Trustees. We look forward to continuing the important work of the university with Lewis Von Thaer and Jeff Kaplan,” Ohio State Spokesman Chris Davey said in an email.

Von Thaer, the president and CEO of Battelle, has served on the Board since November and has previous experience with DynCorp International and AT&T Bell Laboratories. Von Thaer graduated from Kansas State University with a degree in electrical engineering and holds his master’s degree in electrical engineering from Rutgers University.

Kaplan graduated from Ohio State Moritz College of Law after receiving his bachelor’s degree from Yale University. He has held multiple positions at Ohio State, including graduate assistant football coach, senior vice president and executive officer of Ohio State University and adjunct professor in Moritz, as well as the executive vice president of the Baptist Hospital System and St. Thomas Health in Nashville, Tennessee.  

The full Board of Trustees reconvenes May 31.