Ohio State men’s volleyball head coach Pete Hanson announces his retirement at St. John Arena on April 18. Photo: Andy Anders | Assistant Sports Editor

Ohio State announced Tuesday that Kevin Burch will take over as the new head men’s volleyball coach.

Burch began as a volunteer assistant coach at Ohio State from 2009-11 before returning to the Buckeyes with a full-time assistant coach and recruiting coordinator position ahead of the 2015-16 season.

The Buckeyes won back-to-back national titles in Burch’s first two years as a full-time coach.

“Kevin Burch has constructed a blueprint for the men’s volleyball program built on the same pillars and goals utilized as the foundation to our strategic plan,” Janine Oman, deputy director of athletics and men’s volleyball program administrator, said.

Between the 2010-11 and 2016-17 seasons, Burch won seven straight national championships as either an assistant coach or director of operations at Ohio State, Penn State, Springfield College and UC Irvine.

Burch replaces Pete Hanson, who had served as Ohio State’s head coach for the last 35 seasons before announcing his retirement in April.

Hanson’s tenure yielded three national titles, all of which Burch was on staff for, and the third-most wins in NCAA history with 712.

In his role as Ohio State’s recruiting coordinator the past three seasons, Burch garnered commitments from eight high school All-Americans.