Urban Meyer speaks at a press conference at the Residence Inn LA Live on Dec. 31. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Multimedia Editor

Over 2,000 emails and text messages relating to former Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer and the domestic abuse allegations against former wide receivers coach Zach Smith were released Friday by the university.

The documents were made public as part of an independent investigation by the law firm Debevoise & Plimpton LLP.

Exchanges between Meyer, Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith, as well as Meyer and Smith are included in the newly released documents.

Smith was fired by Ohio State on July 23, 2018 following accusations of domestic abuse from his ex-wife that led to her filing the civil protection order.

Meyer was placed on administrative leave on Aug. 1, 2018 after he said he did not know about the allegations at the 2018 Big Ten Media Days on July 24, 2018.

The domestic abuse allegations led to a university investigation that leveled suspensions against Meyer and Smith for their handling of Smith on Aug. 22, 2018.

Meyer stepped down as head football coach at Ohio State following the 2018 season, but remains with the university as assistant athletic director.

Hundreds of documents relating to the scandal had previously been made public on Aug. 28, 2018 and in October of last year.