Ohio State then-freshman forward Kayla Fischer (2) dribbles the ball up field against the Wisconsin Badgers on Oct. 21. Ohio State won 2-1. Credit: Cori Wade | Assistant Photo Editor

A hat trick from Missouri sophomore forward Julissa Cisneros gave Ohio State women’s soccer its second consecutive loss Sunday, dropping the game 3-1 to the Tigers at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. 

Tied 1-1 at the half, the Buckeyes (0-2) started off the second half hot, forcing a point-blank save 30 seconds in. However, it was Missouri (2-0) who would capitalize, as Cisneros scored back-to-back goals 90 seconds apart to complete her hat trick.

The first of the second half goals came on a penalty kick converted by Cisneros after an Ohio State handball. Cisneros third goal came by finishing a cross into the box. Cisneros has scored all four of Missouri’s goals this year.

The Buckeyes started out quickly to open the game. In the fourth minute, Ohio State sophomore forward Kayla Fischer collected a cross and dribbled into the box, danced past a defender and hit a curling shot with her weak foot into the side-netting to grab her first goal of the season.

“I like the right side because [junior defender] Izzy Rodriguez, our left back, can play in perfect balls and I like running into them, so the right side is a good side,” Fischer said.

The Tigers were able to draw a foul in the box after a throw-in and Cisneros converted the penalty kick to tie the game 1-1. This was the second goal that opponents created on throw-ins in Ohio State’s first two games.

Head coach Lori Walker-Hock said the young team needs to grow and mature, and she believes that will happen as players get more game time. One area she noted specifically was Ohio State’s need for improvement on set pieces.

Walker-Hock remains optimistic about the season moving forward. 

“Our 2004 team, which went to the Elite Eight and lost to UCLA right here on this field, started out 0-2,” Walker-Hock said. “Our 2010 team, that went to the Final Four, started out 0-1-1,” she said. “The season is not lost, we just need to sit down and watch some film and get specific about the areas we need to tighten up.”

The Tigers were more successful in putting shots on target, putting six shots on net to Ohio State’s three, which was the deciding factor in the game.

Despite the loss, Fischer said she sees potential for positive change going forward. 

“We’re definitely playing good soccer as a team, we’re just picking those moments to play good soccer,” she said. “I think if we come out in the beginning and play good soccer the whole game, and not just pick 30 minutes during the game to play our game, I think we’ll come out with different results completely.”

The Buckeyes have a road trip to Florida next week. They will play Central Florida on Wednesday at 6 p.m. and then South Florida on Sunday at 6 p.m. Ohio State’s next home game will be Friday, Sept. 13 at 7 p.m. against Miami (Ohio).