Anthony Long, a fourth-year in political science, says the creation of the amnesty clause was personal for him. Credit: Kaylee Harter | Editor in Chief

Over Anthony Long’s first weekend at Ohio State, a fellow Seibert Hall resident had too much to drink, but the group of freshmen he was with was nervous to bring him into the dorm for fear of getting in trouble. 

“In that moment I thought to myself, ‘Why are we even considering any other possibility than giving this student the best medical treatment or the best attention that they could possibly have?’ And that stuck with me,” he said.  

Though they eventually brought him inside, Long, now a fourth-year in political science and chair of the Council on Student Affairs — the University Senate Committee that connects student government and the administration — made it his mission to ensure that no student has to fear the consequences when helping another student.

As of Aug. 1, the code of student conduct includes an amnesty clause, which can protect students who may be hesitant to ask for help for fear of being accused of minor policy violations, such as underage drinking, Kelly Smith, director of student conduct, said. 

“Really it’s designed for our students who have really done the right thing and taken care of one another,” Smith said. 

Long said that during his time as an office assistant and as a member of the conduct board his freshman and sophomore year, he often encountered students who he felt should not have been reported and disciplined. 

Though the residential handbook contained a similar good Samaritan clause in the past, Smith and Long said they felt it was important for the policy to be explicitly stated and apply to all students, not just those living in residence halls. 

The amnesty clause also can serve to protect those who report other violations. For example, one clause in the code of conduct states that those who witness hazing and fail to intervene or report it can be found in violation, Smith said. 

“Someone who was actually there who didn’t report it right away now comes to report. This amnesty provision would allow us to say, ‘Hey, you’ve done the right thing,’” Smith said. “And that’s what we want students to do — do the right thing and don’t let minor policy violations cause you to hesitate.”

Under the amnesty clause, the university still reserves the right to issue an informal sanction or educational materials to students who are granted amnesty.

The clause can even apply to students who have called for help for themselves. Long said that although the university cannot always control what students do, it can encourage best practice. All in all, he said amnesty is there to protect the student population. 

Every second can literally mean the difference between a serious injury or not,” Long said. “Any of the minor policy violations you could have infringed on, we care more about those immediate actions and steps going forward to make your life and the life of any other person around you safe.”