Ohio State junior running back J.K. Dobbins (2) attempts to make a touchdown during the second half of the game against Florida Atlantic on Aug. 31. Ohio State won 45-21. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

Alcohol was prohibited nationwide the last time Ohio State lost to another Ohio school in football.

Now, fans can purchase a beer at Ohio Stadium while watching the Buckeyes play Miami (Ohio) (1-2) Saturday, which is fresh off a 35-13 loss to a team No. 6 Ohio State (3-0) beat 42-0 in Cincinnati.

“It’s kind of like going to recess and they’ve got the first 85 picks,” Miami head coach Chuck Martin said in a MAC coaches media call Monday.

Ohio State outscored its opponents 138-31 from Week 1 to Week 3, averaging 499 yards per game on offense and allowing 253 yards per game on defense.

The Buckeyes have been particularly stringent on the ground, with opponents mustering just 57 yards per game rushing.

However, head coach Ryan Day said there’s still room for improvement.

“We played hard, they played tough, but we have so many things to clean up, and when you watch the film, it’s actually really frustrating to watch,” Day said. “We started that on Sunday and making sure we started addressing some of those issues.”

The Redhawks are ranked No. 78 nationally in total defense, allowing an average of 389 yards per game. 

Miami’s offense is ranked No. 128 out of 130 teams in total yards.

Day said despite the disparity of talent Martin pointed to, the Buckeyes can’t get complacent. 

“Human nature tells you to cut corners, tells you to change things, easy to get distracted, a lot of people in your ear,” Day said. “We have momentum right now; we have to keep that going, and we can’t get distracted. Once that happens, then you set yourself up for failure.”

Freshman quarterback Brett Gabbert completed 60 percent of his passes in Miami’s first three games, with 481 yards through the air. Ohio State sophomore quarterback Justin Fields is completing 70 percent of his throws with 651 passing yards.

Miami has struggled to find its footing on the ground, averaging just 104 yards per game, which ranks No. 116 nationally.

The Redhawks’ top rusher, redshirt freshman running back Tyre Shelton, has 108 yards on the season. The Buckeyes top two running backs, junior J.K. Dobbins and redshirt freshman Master Teague, have 425 and 215 yards, respectively.

Day said the coaching staff isn’t making up reasons to motivate the team. Rather, he said they’ll show them what needs corrected on film and continue to strive for greatness.

“It’s not going to be manufactured. We’re not just going to make that up, but we’re just going to hold them accountable like we always have,” Day said. “Every day has to be consistent. So far we’ve done that, but it’s something we have to stay on them definitely about.”