Abbey Sarver-Verhey, creator of Evolved exhibit and graduate of Ohio State, standing in front of her model for the project. Credit: Courtesy of Mark Hubbe

A new way to learn about evolutionary theory is coming to the Columbus community — if it can raise the money it needs.

The Anthropology Public Outreach Program at Ohio State is helping guide “Evolved,” an evolution-themed exhibit, and is in the process of raising the funds needed for the project to appear at COSI, Mark Hubbe, professor of anthropology and director of APOP, said.

“Evolved” will explore the evolution of the human body through eight interactive modules, according to APOP’s website. The project is designed to provide an informal learning environment, which visitors can experience and think about human evolution relating to their bodies.

Since 2017, APOP has established several outreach projects with the goal of bringing diversity to students, Hubbe said. Some projects include a library lecture series hosted by APOP, a Science Olympiad tournament and a podcast called “A Story of Us.”

Hubbe said that because the project was thought out and designed by Ohio State alumna Abbey Sarver-Verhey, it became important to APOP.

“We have the opportunity to take a project from one of our own students, her own passions, and make something for the greater community,” Hubbe said.

Sarver-Verhey did not respond to request for an interview by the time of publication.

The program is raising money through its website, social media presence and blog that allows for discussion with Ohio State alumni, Hubbe said. The program has raised $28,022 of its $51,111 goal, and the deadline for donations is Sept. 30. 

“It is not a cry for money at this point,” Hubbe said. “For us, it is important to spread the word about this project.”

Laura Wagner, professor of psychology and director of the language sciences research lab, said Sarver-Verhey wanted to create this project with the hope of it being displayed in a museum, so Wagner helped her develop connections with COSI.

“It is good for COSI to see that Ohio State is where a lot of great scientists are and where great science happens,” Wagner said.

Evolutionary theory has become a topic surrounded by controversy, Wagner said, but Sarver-Verhey has put together an exhibit that is going to help the community understand what evolution is and what can be learned from it.

“The goal is to spark interest and excitement in people — to help motivate them to learn about evolution,” Wagner said.

Hubbe said his main goal for APOP is to never tell people exactly what to think and to create an open discussion that builds knowledge. His support for “Evolved” stemmed from how it embraced this goal.

“It is not your typical exhibit,” Hubbe said. “It is interactive, and you explore your body and how your body evolved to do what it does.”

The Engaged Scholars logo accompanies stories that feature and examine research and teaching partnerships formed between The Ohio State University and the community (local, state, national and global) for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources. These stories spring from a partnership with OSU’s Office of Outreach and Engagement. The Lantern retains sole editorial control over the selection, writing and editing of these stories.