Ohio State then-redshirt junior midfielder Jake Scheper passes the ball during the second half of the Ohio State-Rutgers game on Sep. 30. Ohio State lost 3-2. Credit: Cody Mefferd | For the Lantern

Ohio State took home both its games in the Dayton Classic this weekend, improving to 3-1 on the season.

Dayton

Junior defender Joe Ortiz’s first goal was an overtime game-winner, with the Buckeyes capturing a 1-0 victory over Dayton to open the weekend.

Ohio State (2-1) struggled to find the net most of the night, including two missed penalties that could have secured the win earlier. Dayton (0-2) fared no better.

The shutout was senior goalkeeper Parker Siegfried’s second in 2019.

Siegfried only allowed two goals total on the weekend.

Senior Midfielder Jack Holland added to his stat total with an assist on the game-winning goal. Holland scored two goals against California State University Northridge and assisted the game-winning goal against the University of Illinois at Chicago. 

Eastern Illinois

With a goal in the 90th minute, Ohio State (3-1) senior midfielder Jake Scheper secured the Buckeyes’ first three-game winning streak since a six-game stint in 2017 with a 3-2 victory over Eastern Illinois (0-3).

The Buckeyes were up 2-0 until the defense surrendered two late goals to the Panthers, junior forward Shady Omar tying the game on an 82nd-minute penalty.

Redshirt sophomore Devyn Etling’s second goal of the season helped provide the early lead, redshirt sophomore defender Luis Hernandez scored his first goal of the season in the 39th minute to extend it to 2-0.

Ohio State continues its road trip with a match at Bowling Green next Friday, then heads to South Florida Tuesday.