The Ohio State men’s soccer team lines up for the playing of the national anthem prior to their game against the University of South Florida on Sept. 7, 2018. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Managing Editor for Multimedia

After 85 minutes of scoreless soccer, Devyn Etling came through to deliver an eventual game-winning goal for Ohio State.

The redshirt sophomore forward’s strike pushed the Ohio State men’s soccer team (5-1) to an eventual 2-0 victory over South Florida (3-2) to extend its winning streak to five games a season after it won just one game.

Ohio State was stuck. South Florida outshot the Buckeyes 14-6, including multiple chances in the 76th minute. Etling, however, put two goals past the Bulls in the final five minutes to win the match.

Etling struck his second goal in the 89th minute to seal the win and was assisted by sophomore midfielder Xavier Green.

Senior goalkeeper Parker Siegfried saved five shots to record his third shutout this season.

The Buckeye defense helped in Siegfried’s effort to blank a Bulls team averaging nearly two goals per game. South Florida only fired three first half shots.

The Bulls recovered to outshoot the Buckeyes 11-3 in the second half, but could not find the back of the net. 

Ohio State’s offense found difficulty scoring throughout the game until Etling’s late goals. Set pieces have been particularly troublesome, with the Buckeyes now 0-for-39 on converting corner kicks to goals this season.

Prior to the match, Ohio State waited toward the bottom of the “others receiving votes” category of the United Soccer Coaches Top 25. The Buckeyes now boast wins over Bowling Green and South Florida, both of which also received votes in the coach’s poll.

Ohio State is now 4-0 on the road to start the season.

The Buckeyes’ next match will be at home against Penn State on Saturday at 7 p.m. to open Big Ten play.