No. 5 Ohio State travelled to Lincoln, Nebraska Saturday to take on the Cornhuskers in its first night game and second Big Ten matchup on the road. Head coach Ryan Day called Nebraska “by far” the best team the Buckeyes had faced so far, but that didn’t stop Ohio State from putting up a 48-7 beatdown on the Cornhuskers in their backyard. Here are five things The Lantern took away from Ohio State’s fifth straight blowout:

Buckeyes run roughshod over Huskers

Ohio State junior running back J.K. Dobbins (2) runs the ball down the field during the second half of the game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 28. Ohio State won 48-7. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

With 177 yards Saturday, junior running back J.K. Dobbins topped 150 for the second time this season. However, Dobbins wasn’t alone as the entire team rushed for 368 yards against the Cornhuskers.

His performance made him the 11th player in program history to rush for 3,000 career yards. He’s averaging 130.8 yards per game and now sits just 852 yards behind Eddie George for third place in all-time Ohio State rushing yards.

“It’s a blessing. I’ve worked hard. I’m going to keep working harder so I can go to 4,000,” Dobbins said.

All four players with a rushing attempt (Dobbins, Fields, redshirt freshman running back Master Teague and freshman running back Marcus Crowley) averaged six or more yards per attempt.

Teague racked up two touchdowns and 77 yards, extending his season total to 326 on 6.3 yards per carry. 

Fields added another 72 yards on the ground Saturday, his highest total of the season.

The sophomore quarterback may be getting most of the headlines, but Ohio State is attempting nearly 20 more rushes than passes this season, and its No. 7-ranked 283.3 yards per game are outgaining the pass attack by 29.3 yards on average.

Pass rush pushes Martinez off mark

Ohio State junior defensive end Chase Young (2) grabs Nebraska sophomore quarterback Adrian Martinez (2) during the first half of the game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 28. Ohio State won 48-7. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

Ohio State’s defense was firing on all cylinders against sophomore quarterback Adrian Martinez and the Nebraska passing game. 

The preseason Heisman Trophy watch list nominee struggled against the Buckeyes and completed just 8-of-17 passes for 47 yards with no touchdowns and three picks.

“Our rush making the quarterback flustered, I think that’s what it came down to,” senior safety Jordan Fuller said.

The Buckeye defensive line created problems for Martinez all game, totaling four sacks and applying pressure throughout the contest.

Sacks came from senior linebacker Malik Harrison, junior defensive end Chase Young and redshirt junior safety Jahsen Wint, while junior linebacker Baron Browning and redshirt senior defensive end Jashon Cornell each were credited with a half sack.

Martinez was pressured on all three of his interceptions; Young forced him out of the pocket on the first, and senior defensive end Jonathon Cooper affected the other two.

Still no picks from Fields

Ohio State sophomore quarterback Justin Fields (1) gets ready for the play during the first half of the game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 28. Ohio State won 48-7. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

Under a new system with new teammates and coaches, almost no one expected sophomore quarterback Justin Fields to have zero interceptions through five games. 

The Buckeyes are the nation’s No. 3 scoring offense, with 52.4 points per game, and Fields’ efficiency is a big reason why.

Fields has attempted 116 passes on the season for 1,092 yards and 16 touchdown passes and now has no picks in 155 collegiate attempts.

A key factor in Fields’ efficiency has been his decision-making with the football — throwing the ball away when the play breaks down, not locking eyes on a receiver and not forcing passes into tight coverage.

No. 5 in the country with a 194.4 passer efficiency rating, and No. 2 with 23 touchdowns, Fields has already exceeded early-season expectations.

“I thought he made some big time decisions [Saturday], some big time throws,” Day said.

Mack makes major moves

Ohio State senior wide receiver Austin Mack (11) and sophomore quarterback Justin Fields (1) celebrate after a touchdown during the first half of the game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 28. Ohio State won 48-7. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

Senior wide receiver Austin Mack had 66 yards on three catches and a touchdown against Nebraska in his best performance since Week 3 of 2018. 

After having a touchdown called back against Miami (Ohio) Sept. 21 for a holding call on redshirt senior guard Jonah Jackson, Mack found himself in the end zone on an 18-yard pass from sophomore quarterback Justin Fields in the second quarter. 

Mack is known for his intermediate game, but got free for a deep pass on a 38-yard reception at the end of the first. The gain came on a double move by Mack that was set up by an out route. 

“Setting things up, being a pro, knowing if you run that route the same way every single time, he’s going to know that alignment –– something’s coming,” Mack said. “Being able to do the little things, execute on every single thing that we can, and then being able to complement it.”

Returning from a foot injury that cut his 2018 season short by six games, Mack appears to have found his stride moving forward.

Turnover time for Buckeye secondary

Ohio State senior safety Jordan Fuller (4) dives to intercept a pass in the first half of the game against Nebraska on Sept. 28. Ohio State won 48-7. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Managing Editor for Multimedia

Just a week ago against Miami, junior cornerback Jeff Okudah finally made his first career interception.

He tripled that amount on Saturday with two more interceptions against Nebraska. The first stopped the Cornhuskers on the opening drive of the game and set the tone for Ohio State’s convincing victory.

Also getting in on the turnover action was Fuller, who picked one off later in the second quarter. Fuller and Okudah effectively put an end to three of Nebraska’s first four drives of the game.

Seventeen of Ohio State’s 38 first-half points came off the three interceptions.

Okudah finished the game with two tackles, in addition to the two interceptions, while Fuller added four tackles.