Students fill Jesse Owens North Recreation Center during After 10 at JON in 2018. Credit: Courtesy of Marci Shumaker

Students are encouraged to relax and relieve stress through boxing, yoga, painting, massages, prizes and free food this week at the Jesse Owens North Recreation Center. 

The second annual “After 10 at JON,” hosted by Student Life Recreational Sports, will take place Thursday, including a variety of wellness and relaxation activities throughout the night, Ali Talcott, campus programs coordinator, said.  

Marci Shumaker, senior associate director for administration and programs, said the Painting with Bob Ross student organization will guide students through calming Ross painting tutorials.

Shumaker said Student Life Rec Sports believes in all nine dimensions of wellness, and is trying to expose people to more than just physical activity.

The other dimensions of wellness include social, intellectual, financial, emotional, spiritual, environmental, career and creative, according to the Student Wellness Center’s website.

The Thyme & Change food truck will be at the event all night serving its Korean barbecue menu free for all attendees, Shumaker said.

Ten-minute chair massages will be offered by three massage therapists, Talcott said. Students can sign up when they check in to secure their spot, which Shumaker recommends doing as soon as possible, as the time slots will fill up quickly.

The raffle prizes that will be awarded throughout the night include a wireless speaker, prize packs with gift cards and Rec Sports items such as hammocks, T-shirts, water bottles and bags, Talcott said. 

Students will receive a raffle ticket at each station visited, so the more activities in which students take part, the higher their chance of winning a prize, Shumaker said.

Shumaker said she hopes students walk away from this event with new de-stressing techniques to use on their own.

“If somebody comes and paints and finds it relaxing, hopefully they’ll either engage with that club or find that as a new hobby,” Shumaker said.

Another goal of the event is to expose students who have never used or do not regularly visit JO North to all the features that make the facility special. JO North is the only facility on campus equipped for powerlifting, and there is an indoor turf field designed for activities such as boxing, Shumaker said.

At the event, students will have the chance to meet yoga instructors in a casual atmosphere and learn about the yoga programs offered on campus, which Shumaker said she hopes will encourage students to incorporate healthy and relaxing practices such as yoga into their routines.

“There’s evidence that if you get engaged in an activity or a group within the first couple months of college, you’re more likely to stay in school,” Shumaker said. “There’s also evidence that shows that participating in recreation and physical activity can enhance your GPA.”

After 10 at JON will be the third event Student Life Rec Sports has hosted for its three-part de-stressing series. It plans to host similar stress-relieving events at the end of the semester, Talcott said. 

All events hosted by Student Life Rec Sports can be found at recsports.osu.edu.

After 10 at JON is 10 p.m. to midnight Thursday at the Jesse Owens North Recreation Facility. Admission is free for all with a valid BuckID.