USG’s General Assembly discussed funding for student organizations on Nov. 7, 2018. Credit: Lantern File Photo

Reading day may become reading “days” following an Undergraduate Student Government resolution passed Wednesday.

Resolution 52-R-9, which would add an extra reading day to exam week, will be brought before the Council on Enrollment and Student Progress in University Senate after passing unanimously in USG’s General Assembly Wednesday.

Reading day is between the final day of classes and the beginning of exams in which students can study, attend office hours and review sessions during which no classes are held.

The extra reading day, which is currently proposed for Dec. 4, would help reduce sleep deprivation for already overworked students, decrease the need to cram for exams and help improve the overall mental health of students, USG Sen. Emily Needham, a second-year in philosophy, politics and economics, said.

“By adding an extra reading day, this would provide students a ground to be more academically inclined, to focus more on their studies rather than credit or grades,” Needham said.

The proposal for increased study time comes after USG received over 300 survey responses, gauging whether the student body would be in favor of another reading day, Needham said.

Students who took the survey responded “overwhelmingly with yes,” Needham said.

Needham also assured the GA that the additional reading day would not extend the semester, and professors would still be able to have office hours and review sessions for students.

Parliamentarian Caleb Hineman said that the legislation is for the benefit of Ohio State undergraduates.

“What this resolution is going to do is speak on behalf of all students,” Hineman said.

The proposal will be reviewed by the Council on Enrollment and Student Progress Oct. 1.