Ohio State then-sophomore forward Meghan Kammerdeiner passes the ball during the second half of the Buckeyes’ 7-0 win against Illinois at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on Sept. 14, 2017. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Former Sports Editor

The Ohio State women’s soccer team (2-4-1) got its second win of the season 3-1 against the Ohio Bobcats (5-2) Sunday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. 

Coming off a win over Miami (OH), Ohio State continued its momentum with an early score, as redshirt junior forward Meghan Kammerdeiner found the net in the seventh minute to score her first goal of the season. 

“I think the forward line definitely started talking about connecting with each other more,” Kammerdeiner said. “We were all focused on being great soccer players, playing together and attacking whatever back line we’re up against.”

With assists from junior defender Izzy Rodriguz and sophomore defender Talani Barnett, Kammerdeiner’s goal ignited the Buckeyes offensively. Later, goals from junior forward Marissa Birzon and sophomore forward Kayla Fischer helped the team take down the Bobcats, who were credited one goal off a header from senior midfielder Alivia Milesky.

Defensively, Ohio State junior goalkeeper Bailey Kolinski shined, with three saves and great coverage in the first half, and was later relieved by redshirt freshman Jordan Silkowitz. Senior defenders Haley Walker-Robinson and Marike Mousset were key assets in keeping play on the Buckeye side and minimizing shots for Ohio. 

“We wanted to build on some things that we saw on Friday, and when you’re at home at night with a fantastic crowd, it feels like a Friday night all over again,” head coach Lori Walker-Hock said. “We wanted to focus on some movements in the final two phases of the game, and I think our movements were really good—we broke lines and were able to get into wide areas and be creative.”

Prior to the start of the game, the team’s three seniors — Walker-Robinson, Mousset and midfielder Selina Vickery — were honored as a part of senior day. 

“It’s hard when you only have three seniors and your team is young and looking up to them, but I think they’ve done a really nice job so it was fun to honor them tonight,” Walker-Hock said.

Mousset, who played the full 90 minutes, said she was proud that her team finally executed to the best of their ability.

“We had a lot of the pieces together prior to this game. It was the last 2 percent that we were missing, and I think finally tonight the execution came together,” Mousset said. “Every win puts you in the right direction. It definitely showed us that we can play any team as long as we stick to our game plan and play the Buckeye way.”

The Buckeyes open Big Ten play this week with home matchups against Michigan State at 8 p.m. Thursday, and Michigan at 2 p.m. Sunday.