Ronald Holmes holds his book, “Finance 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in High School,” released Sept. 19. Credit: Courtesy of Ronald Holmes

Ronald Holmes didn’t need a background in financial literacy to write a book about how to save money.

Holmes, a fourth-year in film studies, is the author of “Finance 101: What They Didn’t Teach You In High School,” a newly published book that acts as a guide for students to learn about money management.

Holmes self-published the book in mid-August through Blurb, a digital platform for book design and promotion, and sold copies in person. On Sept. 19, the book was released on Amazon and Barnes and Noble online.

Holmes said he noticed in December he was spending money on unnecessary things, which led him to research ways to save money. When Holmes shared the information he learned with family and friends, he said they encouraged him to write the book.

“I’m not claiming to be something I’m not. This is just coming from my personal experience with finances. These are things I’ve researched thoroughly,” Holmes said.

He said he wished he was taught money management in high school before entering college.

Holmes’ book covers topics about his personal experience with money management, budget balancing, savings accounts, investing, retirement funds, taxes, debt and extra ways to make money — such as Post Mates, Lyft driving and other jobs in the community — that could earn students more than $1,000 a month.

Katelyn France, a second-year in theater and Holmes’ co-worker at BuckeyeTV, said she saw his posts on Facebook promoting the book and decided to purchase a copy.

“I had no idea when I was supposed to file taxes, and there’s a whole chapter in the book with a flow chart that explains taxes. That was really important to me because I never learned that,” France said.

Holmes said his book is different from other financial literacy books because it is simple enough to understand without getting too simple.

“It’s not one of those textbooks you get from class and have to re-read a paragraph to understand what was said,” France said.

Holmes said when he came to Ohio State, he found a strong passion for writing he did not have before.

Holmes said the biggest challenge while writing the book was finding credible sources, due to the massive amount of information online.

Holmes said he hopes more financial courses will be offered in high schools and colleges where his book can be used as a guide.

“The U.S. doesn’t have a financial education requirement, and you need to be financially literate to understand finances,” Holmes said. “The school system leaves it up to the parents to teach their children, but how can parents teach if they’ve never learned? This is why the cycle keeps continuing.”

Holmes said he has sold 25 copies through Blurb and in-person sales. He said he will not know the total sales from other retailers until the beginning of November.

“Finance 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in High School” is currently sold on Blurb.com, Amazon and Barnes and Noble for $14.99. The book can also be purchased in person by emailing Holmes at holmes.784@buckeyemail.osu.edu.