Tenants of Buckeye Village may have the option to move into University Village starting in 2020. Credit: Nick Signore | For The Lantern

As Ohio State’s graduate and family housing is replaced by athletic complexes, many families are left wondering where they will end up. 

The university announced Monday that residents of Buckeye Village may have the option to rent a University Village unit beginning in 2020-2021 as the university continues to develop the Athletics District and closes the existing Buckeye Village, according to a university spokesperson. 

Ohio State is currently in the process of negotiating a lease agreement with University Village apartments for the current 89 Buckeye Village units occupied, which would provide the option for up to two academic years at a subsidized rate by the university. This would match the current Buckeye Village rates, as well as any rate increases incurred by the annual rate review process, Ben Johnson, university spokesperson, said in an email. 

Buckeye Village, which is located on Defiance Drive on Northwest Campus, is less than half a mile from University Village on Olentangy River Road.

Council of Graduate Students President Stephen Post said that while he appreciates the university subsidizing the rent for Buckeye Village tenants, he does not feel like it is enough. 

“We really want a commitment from them that they would invest in — in new housing for students with families and graduate students in general,” Post said. “It has been too long that we have not been prioritized, and that was something that was made apparent tonight was that it really is a matter of money and how much it would have cost to move forward with building a new facility.”

In June 2017, about 50 Buckeye Village apartments were demolished for the construction of the Covelli Center, according to previous Lantern reporting. Applications for housing were no longer accepted as of 2018 due to limited space.

Johnson said the university’s 2010 Framework plan — Ohio State’s long-term development plan — the 2012 Athletics District Master Plan and Framework 2.0 all include development plans for Northwest Campus, which includes Buckeye Village’s property.  

In a letter sent to Buckeye Village residents Monday night, the Office of Student Life said the University Village option is a result of exploring options for the future of graduate and family housing, and the lease agreement would offer one- or two-bedroom apartments at University Village. 

“We are continuing to work with University Village on final details of this agreement and next steps for helping you further review this option (visiting the site, seeing model apartments, etc.). We will share more information as soon as possible,” the letter reads.

Johnson said the university is continuing its dedication to finding appropriate housing options. 

“Ohio State remains committed to graduate and family housing options that are affordable, safe and located close to campus,” Johnson said.