Members of the men’s hockey team celebrates Eugene Fadyeyev’s goal in the first period of game one during Ohio State’s hockey game vs. Michigan State on March 1. Ohio State won 5-1. Credit: Nick Hudak | For The Lantern

Game 1:

No. 12 Ohio State opened its regular season Friday against the No. 14 Western Michigan Broncos in the Ice Breaker Tournament in Toledo, Ohio.

The score remained knotted at 2-2 after a five-minute overtime period, officially ending in a tie, but the game continued to an overtime shootout to determine who would advance to the championship game of the tournament.

The Buckeyes were able to secure a win in the shootout thanks to a goal scored by sophomore forward Quinn Preston. 

Ohio State scored in the first period on a goal from redshirt senior forward Miguel Fidler, and again in the third on a goal from senior defenseman Matt Miller.

Western Michigan goals came from senior forward Lawton Courtnall and junior forward Brett Van Os in the first and second periods.

Game 2: 

Ohio State came back from being down 1-0 after the first period and scored three unanswered goals to seal the victory and clinch the Ice Breaker Championship. 

The victory was highlighted by two goals scored by senior forward and team captain Ronnie Hein.

Hein scored a power play goal halfway through the second period to tie the game for the Buckeyes. The score remind tied until the end of the second. 

Hein scored another goal early in the third period with two seconds remaining in an RIT penalty to give the Buckeyes their first lead of the game. Freshman forward Michael Gildon recorded his first career point as he had an assist on the second goal for the Buckeyes.

Ohio State held onto the lead, extending it to 3-1 with 3:18 left in the game thanks to a goal from freshman forward Tate Singleton.

Ohio State will play Omaha next weekend at home for the home opener for the season.