Then-freshman forward Sara Saekkinen (25) drives the puck past a Minnesota player in the women’s hockey game on Jan 26. Credit: Cori Wade | Assistant Photo Editor

The Ohio State women’s hockey team heads to Bemidji State this weekend to try to do what it has been unable to accomplish for the past two seasons:

Beat Bemidji State on its home ice.

After splitting a two-game series with No. 2 Minnesota at home this past weekend, No. 8 Ohio State (5-3-2, 3-3-2 WCHA) will go on the road this weekend to face a different team from Minnesota — Bemidji State (3-4-1, 2-2-0).

The Beavers were a thorn in the Buckeyes’ side this past season. They beat the Buckeyes in three of four matchups, sweeping them at Bemidji State and splitting the series at Ohio State.

“Bemidji has become our nemesis over the past few years,” Ohio State head coach Nadine Muzerall said. “We’re 0-4 on the road against Bemidji over the past two years.”

Muzzerall said the matchup will feature two teams with a relentless style of play, and both compete with a chip on their shoulder.

In Ohio State’s first game against Minnesota, the team played what Muzerall said she calls “Buckeye hockey.” It paid off, and the Buckeyes earned a win. In their second game of the series, they failed to bring that same energy and took a loss.

Ohio State junior forward Liz Schepers had a big weekend against Minnesota. She scored three of the Buckeyes five goals and now leads the team in that category with seven. 

In a press conference this week, Bemidji State head coach Jim Scanlan had nothing but praise for Schepers.

“Liz Schepers has had just an outstanding career,” Scanlan said. “She’s elevated herself where she’s a center on their top line. I just really have a lot of respect for her as a player.”

Bemidji State is coming off two 4-1 losses against No. 1 Wisconsin. But two weeks ago, the Beavers upset then-No. 8 Minnesota Duluth in two games, so the Buckeyes know they are not a team to take lightly.

“They’re very good, a team that I feel is like the unsung hero,” Muzerall said. “They do a lot of really good things and, you know, they don’t get as much recognition as they should.”

There are a few Beaver playmakers that Ohio State will have to keep an eye out for.

Bemidji State senior forward Haley Mack has a team-high seven points, from six goals and one assist. 

On defense, junior defenseman Tina Kampa has five points off five assists. 

Bemidji State has three goaltenders who have all seen playing time this season, but junior goaltender Lauren Bench has started most games for the Beavers, including all four conference matchups. She has a goals-allowed average of 2.62 and a .906 save percentage.

The puck drops at 4:07 p.m. Friday and 7:07 p.m. Saturday as the Buckeyes and Beavers square off at Bemidji State.