Then-sophomore forward Emma Maltais (17) skates up the ice during a game against Bemidji State on Nov. 10. Ohio State lost 4-2. Credit: Cori Wade | Assistant Photo Editor

There’s a long list of reasons that the Ohio State women’s hockey team badly wanted a win over Minnesota this weekend, but here’s the short version.

Minnesota is a powerhouse. It’s ranked No. 2 in the nation. It hasn’t lost a game yet this season.

All three Ohio State coaches played for Minnesota. And eight Buckeyes players are from Minnesota.

The Buckeyes haven’t been in the win column for a while. They dropped two games to No. 1 Wisconsin on Oct. 11 and 12, and this past week, they tied in both their games against Minnesota State.

It’s fair to say that Ohio State was hungry for the win Friday night. And it showed.

The No. 8 Buckeyes (5-2-2, 3-2-2 WCHA) played hard and tough, but more importantly, they played their most consistent game of the season to beat No. 2 Minnesota (8-1-0, 4-1-0) 4-3, handing the Gophers their first loss of the year.

“We wanted to really come out and send a message this weekend that we’re up there with the top teams in the country after kind of disappointing ourselves the last two weeks,” junior forward Liz Schepers said. 

Ohio State head coach Nadine Muzerall said her team’s ability to step up to the plate after facing a couple of difficult weeks was significant.

“I think that we’ve illustrated tonight that we can play with anybody,” Muzerall said. “It’s the No. 2 team in the country, who’ve won numerous championships, and I think it just speaks volumes of Ohio State — where we are now as a hockey program — that we’re on the map, and we’re going to be the No. 1 team.”

The Buckeyes scored first and never played from behind, though Minnesota tied the game twice, last of all with 10 minutes left in the game.

But that tie lasted only two short minutes until Schepers, set up by passes from sophomore defenseman Sophie Jaques and junior forward Emma Maltais, found the back of the net for her second goal of the night to give Ohio State its winning goal.

“It was 0-0 with 10 minutes left, and I think we would pick us every time in that situation,” Schepers said.

Ohio State started the game hot. Just two minutes into the game, Schepers scored her first goal to give the Buckeyes an early lead. She was assisted by junior forward Tatum Skaggs and freshman defenseman Teghan Inglis.

Then, with 5:35 left in the first, Minnesota tied the game off a goal by junior forward Grace Zumwinkle.

Four minutes into the second period, the Buckeyes struck again. This time, it was sophomore forward Gabby Rosenthal getting the goal — her first of the season. Sophomore forward Paetyn Levis assisted on the goal.

Ohio State didn’t let up. With seven minutes to go in the second period, Maltais scored to put the Buckeyes up 3-1. Skaggs and Jaques assisted.

Then, with a couple minutes left in the period, Minnesota got its second power play opportunity of the game, and Zumwinkle scored again to bring the Gophers within a goal.

Minnesota made it interesting in the third, when with 10 minutes left in the game, sophomore forward Emily Woden tied the game 3-3. However, Schepers’ game winner kept it out of reach for the Gophers.

“We played probably our most complete game of the year and were just all over them,” Schepers said. “This is what you’re going to see when we’re on our game, and we have to bring that every day now.”

Ohio State and Minnesota square off again at 3:07 p.m. Saturday.