Ohio State junior defensive end Chase Young (2) points toward the field as the Buckeyes walk out to warm up prior to the start of the game against Northwestern on Oct. 18. Ohio State won 52-3. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Managing Editor for Multimedia

Chase Young has been suspended and will not play in the game against Maryland Saturday due to a possible NCAA violation, Ohio State announced Friday. 

The junior defensive end will be out due to “a possible NCAA issue from 2018 that the Department of Athletics is looking into,” according to a Department of Athletics statement. 

Young said in a tweet that he is working with Ohio State and NCAA to get back on the field. 

“I made a mistake last year by accepting a loan from a family friend I’ve known since the summer before my freshman year at OSU. I repaid it in full last summer,” Young said. 

Young has 13.5 sacks this season with 5 forced fumbles and 29 total tackles. He gained national attention and Heisman trophy consideration when he recorded four sacks playing against Wisconsin on Oct. 26. 

Young is one sack away from setting the single season school record, held by Vernon Gholston, and projects as a potential No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.

Ohio State will also be without senior defensive end Jonathon Cooper against the Terrapins, meaning the Buckeyes will rely on sophomores Tyreke Smith and Tyler Friday, freshman Zach Harrison and redshirt freshman Javontae Jean-Baptiste at the position on Saturday against Maryland. 

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.