Members of the men’s hockey team celebrates Eugene Fadyeyev’s goal in the first period of game one during Ohio State’s hockey game vs. Michigan State on March 1. Ohio State won 5-1. Credit: Nick Hudak | For The Lantern

The No. 11 Ohio State Buckeyes (7-4-1, Big Ten 3-3) split their weekend series with No. 6 Penn State (10-3-0, Big Ten 6-2) as the Buckeyes returned to play following their bye week.

Game One 

Ohio State’s comeback effort fell just short in the third period as it dropped its third straight game in a 5-4 loss to Penn State Friday.

Both teams found the back of the net in the first period as the teams went into the first intermission locked at 1-1. Both were power play goals. 

Penn State was able to get out to a 3-1 lead after scoring two unanswered goals in the second period. 

The Buckeyes got one back thanks to a score from sophomore forward Gustaf Westlund.

Penn State answered with two goals of its own to get out to a 5-2 lead as the Nittany Lions’ leading goal-scorer, junior forward Sam Sternschein, scored his ninth of the year on an empty net to seal it.

Ohio State kept fighting, as it scored twice in the final 1:30 to make it 5-4 on goals from senior forward Tanner Laczynski and sophomore forward Matthew Jennings.

Game Two 

Ohio State snapped its three-game losing streak as it defeated Penn State 4-3 Saturday. 

Sophomore Gustaf Westlund found the back of the net for the second time this weekend for the lone goal in the third period to win it for the Buckeyes.

Penn State jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a first period goal from senior forward Liam Folkes, but Ohio State’s Laczynski tied it up with 34 seconds remaining in the period when he got behind the defense and scored.

After falling behind 2-1, Ohio State knotted it up again as sophomore forward Quinn Preston scored a power play goal assisted by junior goalie Tommy Nappier. 

Both teams found the back of the net once more in the second to send the game into the final 20 minutes three goals apiece.

Ohio State freshman goalie Ryan Snowden took over in the third for his first live action since the exhibition game against Western. He turned away all 15 shots he faced.

Ohio State will play Michigan State next Saturday and Sunday at home.