Freshman setter Mac Podraza and junior setter Becca Mauer before practice Nov. 12. Credit: Ally Williams | Lantern Reporter

Two sets of hands, two strategic minds, two completely different players, but Becca Mauer and Mac Podraza are one unit of setters for the Buckeyes during any given match.

Throughout the 2019 season, the junior and freshman have shared the key role of setting for the Buckeyes and spent this season getting to know each other,  themselves and how they can play as one unit to deliver a consistent, effective offense for their hitters.

“I think in regard to us playing together, it’s just kind of complementing each other,” Mauer said. “I think just kind of focusing on — we’re a unit as one instead of having it as two different setters.”

However, they didn’t perfect it right away. Mauer faced an injury in the previous season and was left out of commission during spring and summer training when Podraza was first introduced to the Buckeyes. 

Though she wanted to play and be on the court more than anything else, Mauer had to step into a mentorship role for the younger setters. She played a crucial role in Podraza’s development as a player, which Podraza said was exceptionally important in her first few weeks as a Buckeye. 

“I could feel her wanting so badly to be on the court the whole time and almost feeling like I need to play for her, being as big of a supporting role for her as I could be,” Podraza said. “It helped me learn so much because I had no choice but to be thrown out there and kind of do it.”

Having Mauer off the court affected not only Podraza, but the rest of the team. Still, she rose to the occasion and remained a leader, despite her inability to play, head coach Geoff Carlston said. 

“Your leader couldn’t set, but she could still lead, so it was great for the team to see that,” Carlston said.

As the weeks progressed into the meat of the 2019 season, Mauer was cleared to play, and a new challenge arose: Who will set now?

For weeks, Podraza — with appearances from freshman setter Cecilia Rocafort — had been running the show, but with Mauer back on the roster, the Buckeyes faced the challenge of finding the best lineup for the best results. 

While that lineup could still vary match to match, the Ohio State coaching staff settled on running a 5-2 offense, by which Mauer and Podraza would sub in for each other. 

“They’re both getting better every single day, but our team is best when we have them in their strengths, which is Mac in the front row and Becca in the back row,” Carlston said.

Podraza takes advantage of her 6-foot-2 stature by exhibiting an aggressive offensive role in the front three setting rotations, while Mauer takes her turn in the back playing defense and covering serve-receive. 

“You’ve got a better defender, and she’s speedy, and she can run the tempo a little bit better because she’s a junior, and Mac’s up and she’s just more physical,” Carlston said.

As the two brought their different skill levels and playing styles into the match, the challenge became less how they could play well, but how could they play well together. 

But, Podraza and Mauer have built a system reliant on feedback from the hitters and each other, Podraza said. Now, they’ve reached a state where they couldn’t be as effective without the support of each other. 

“I don’t think I can do what I do without her, and I think she would say the same about me,” Podraza said. “So a unit is exactly what it is, and we couldn’t work without each other.”

Not only that, but this rotation is unusual for the Buckeyes, as Carlston said it’s the first time he’s ever run this kind of offense. 

Despite its novelty, Carlston said once they started doing it, the team has improved.

“It’s more like if I have a rocky three rows, she can help me and bring me back up and get the team back going, and I can focus on myself and go back in and vice versa,” Mauer said. “It’s been cool to share the role and know it doesn’t rely on one person.”

Mauer’s presence and leadership have consistently proven to help Podraza’s development, but now Podraza has the task of establishing herself as a leader as well. 

“I definitely think I’m still trying to figure out myself as a leader because I honestly don’t think you’re ever going to peak as a leader,” Podraza said. “I don’t know if I can put a pinpoint on it quite yet, but I am working through it and getting so much better day by day.”

With just two regular season matches left, both Mauer and Podraza are focused on continuing to play together and provide the best offense for their team so they can be successful moving forward. The entire Buckeye team is working to play its best self as well. 

With the postseason looming, the pressure is on to play each match better than the last.

“We’re a team that’s improving late, and a lot of other teams are kind of where they’re not going to grow as much, so we’re trying to challenge our players because our growth curve can be higher than most teams, so let’s keep growing,” Carlston said.