a

Ohio State then-sophomore safety Brendon White (25) intercepts a pass in the second half of the game against Michigan on Nov. 24, 2018. Ohio State won 62-39. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

Brendon White’s next college football season will not be in spent in Columbus, Ohio.

The junior safety announced he is committed to Rutgers on social media Friday after entering his name in the transfer portal Dec. 13.

After White didn’t make the trip to the Big Ten Championship Game, Ohio State head coach said it was for “personal reasons,” and had no update on White after he learned of his intention to transfer.

Rutgers hired Greg Schiano as its new head coach in December, a position he previously held in Piscataway, New Jersey, from 2001 to ’11. Schiano was the defensive coordinator at Ohio State under former head coach Urban Meyer from 2016 to ’18, where he coached White for two seasons.

White was thought to be Ohio State’s first string “bullet” ahead of the year, a safety-linebacker hybrid position teased by the Buckeye coaching staff since this past spring, but his play has been limited. White has made 19 tackles in 11 games this season.

White was fifth on the team with 46 tackles a season ago and was named the defensive MVP of the Rose Bowl following an eight-tackle performance against Washington.