a

The Buckeyes run onto the field prior to the start of the Ohio State-Maryland game Nov. 9. Ohio State won 73-14. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Managing Editor for Multimedia

The early signing period for college football’s National Signing Day began Wednesday, and many top recruits wasted no time making their future at Ohio State official.

Both of the Buckeyes’ five-star commits,  No. 2 overall prospect and No. 1 wide receiver Julian Fleming and the nation’s top offensive tackle Paris Johnson, signed early with the Buckeyes.

The pair led a class of 25 commits entering the day, the No. 4 recruiting class in the country, and 23 players have signed letters of intent with Ohio State so far.

Joining Fleming and Johnson were No. 33 overall prospect and No. 5 wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba out of Texas and a top 80 recruit in safety Lathan Ransom from Arizona.

Ransom and four-star defensive backs Lejond Cavazos and Ryan Watts — recruited by new Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley — all signed early with the Buckeyes despite news of Ohio State’s first-year co-defensive coordinator and secondary coach’s departure following the season.

Hafley’s other two recruits, top 50 overall prospect and No. 4 cornerback Clark Phillips and four-star Cameron Martinez out of Michigan have both delayed their signing.

Phillips will announce tomorrow, and Martinez in February, per reports.

Ohio State signed Arizona’s Jack Miller, the No. 14-rated pro-style quarterback in the class, and No. 2 pro-style passer C.J. Stroud is expected to sign with the Buckeyes from California at 12:30 p.m. Stroud did not previously commit to a program.

Two other top 15 wide receivers in Gee Scott and Mookie Cooper signed as well. Scott is the No. 62 overall prospect in the class, and Cooper comes in at No. 82.

The Buckeyes signed the only running back prospect of their 2020 class in three-star Miyan Williams, the No. 18 player out of Ohio.

Other notable early signees from Ohio include four-star defensive tackle Darrion Henry, Johnson’s teammate at Princeton High School in Cincinnati, and the Buckeyes’ lone tight end and kicker commits Joe Royer and Jake Seibert, respectively.

Both from Cincinnati, Royer is the No. 11 tight end in the recruiting class, and Seibert is the No. 2 kicker.

Another local signee is three-star pass-rusher Ty Hamilton from Pickerington Central High School, the younger brother of redshirt senior defensive tackle DaVon Hamilton, who trails only Chase Young with five sacks for the Buckeyes this season.

With New Jersey’s Cody Simon and California’s Kourt Williams, Ohio State signed the No. 9 and No. 11 outside linebackers in the class, respectively.

Phillips and Martinez are the only two of Ohio State’s initial 25 commits not to sign early Wednesday.