Ohio State head coach Ryan Day prepares to lead the Buckeyes onto the field prior to the start of the game against Wisconsin Oct. 26. Ohio State won 38-3. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Managing Editor for Multimedia

It’s only Ryan Day’s first year as Ohio State head coach, but he’s already done something none of his past four predecessors can lay claim to.

Day was named Big Ten Coach of the Year Tuesday, the first Ohio State head coach to do so since Earle Bruce in 1979.

Leading Ohio State to a 56-27 victory against Michigan Saturday, Day has extended the streak to eight straight wins against the Buckeyes’ archrival to cap an undefeated 12-0 regular season.

Day left the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers following the 2016 season to join Urban Meyer’s Ohio State staff as a quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator in 2017.

Day served as interim head coach during Meyer’s three-game suspension in 2018 and was promoted to the position full time when Meyer announced that he would retire after the season Dec. 4, 2018.

Ohio State is No. 1 in the College Football Playoff rankings and has the No. 1 scoring offense and No. 1 total defense in the nation.

The Buckeyes take on Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game Saturday at 8 p.m. in Indianapolis.