a

Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Ryan Day said Monday he expects all five of co-defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley’s 2020 recruits to sign with Ohio State, despite news of his new job as head coach at Boston College.

That may still be the case, but it isn’t as clear cut as it once may have been.

The early signing period for National Signing Day began Wednesday, and three of Hafley’s recruits made their Buckeye futures official.

Four-star safety Lathan Ransom, the No. 5 player at his position and No. 79 overall, signed with Ohio State out of Salpointe Catholic High School in Arizona.

Joining him were four-star defensive backs Ryan Watts and Lejond Cavazos. Watts is the No. 17 cornerback in the nation, hailing from Little Elm, Texas, and Cavazos is a top 30 safety in the class out of Bradenton, Florida.

Situations have complicated with Hafley’s other two recruits, however.

Clark Phillips, the top-rated defensive back in Ohio State’s class, will sign tomorrow at 2 p.m., and speculation has begun to swirl that Phillips may end up at Utah instead. Phillips is Ohio State’s fourth-highest-rated commit and the No. 4 cornerback in the country.

A native of La Habra, California, Phillips would be much closer to home if he committed to Utah, though he initially committed to Ohio State back in June.

Four-star Cameron Martinez from Muskegon, Michigan, is another Hafley recruit, but the No. 14-rated prospect in the 2020 class will postpone his signing date to February.

Martinez won Michigan’s Mr. Football this season as a quarterback for Muskegon High School, but his athleticism gives him versatility that could lend itself to several positions. Recruited by both Hafley and wide receivers coach Brian Hartline, it is unclear which side of the ball Martinez would land on at Ohio State, which may factor into his ultimate decision.

Ohio State’s recruiting class was rated No. 4 in the nation entering Wednesday, but the Buckeyes won’t know if they’ll sign all 25 original commits until Phillips and Martinez sign their letters of intent.