Ohio State head women’s volleyball coach Geoff Carlston watches the
action during his team’s match with Purdue on Oct. 27, 2017, at St. John Arena. Purdue won the match 3-0. Credit: Jeff Helfrich | Former Lantern Reporter

Saturday’s season-ending loss to Nebraska was Ohio State women’s volleyball head coach Geoff Carlston’s last, as the Ohio State Department of Athletics announced he will not return next season in a release Tuesday.

The Buckeyes finished 15-17, the program’s third consecutive losing season in which it didn’t qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

Carlston’s Ohio State teams made the tournament seven times in his 12 seasons at the helm, advancing to the Sweet 16 on five occasions, but the past three seasons saw his most losses since 2008 — his first year with the team.

“I have been extremely fortunate to coach so many amazing young women over my 12 years at Ohio State,” Carlston said in the release. “I am grateful to [athletic director Gene Smith], [deputy director of athletics Janine Oman] and the entire Buckeye Nation for the opportunity to be a part of this incredible journey.”

Carlston posted a career record of 235-170, which gives him the second-most wins in program history behind his predecessor, Jim Stone. Carlston is the second-longest tenured head coach in program history, only surpassed by Stone’s 26 seasons.

“We want to thank Geoff for his leadership of the women’s volleyball program over the last 12 years,” Oman said in the release. “He has provided special memories and experiences for the many student-athletes during his time.”

The search for Carlston’s replacement will begin immediately, according to the release.