a

Former Ohio State cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs makes his way through a crowd after Ohio State’s win against No. 2 Penn State Oct. 28, 2017. Credit: Nick Clarkson | Former Social Media Editor

It wasn’t exactly a well-kept secret that Ohio State was targeting Kerry Coombs to replace Jeff Hafley as the new co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach.

Head coach Ryan Day didn’t confirm the speculation in this past Wednesday’s press conference, but the cat appears out of the bag as reports say Coombs will be officially confirmed as Hafley’s replacement Monday afternoon.

Coombs coached the Buckeye secondary from 2012 to ’17 under former head coach Urban Meyer before moving up to the professional ranks to coach the Tennessee Titans’ defensive backs in the NFL for the past two seasons.

The Titans made it to the AFC Championship –– which likely delayed Coomb’s Ohio State reunion –– but lost to the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday.

The position will give Coombs more responsibility than he had in his previous Buckeye tenure, as he’ll pair with Greg Mattison to form a new two-man defensive coordinating duo in Columbus.

Coombs helped develop five Ohio State cornerbacks that became first round NFL Draft picks from 2014 to ’18, including Denzel Ward, Eli Apple, Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley and Bradley Roby.