a

Ohio State senior quality control coach Corey Dennis helps sophomore quarterback Justin Fields warm up before the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Arizona, Dec. 28. Credit: Griffin Strom | Sports Editor

Reports named Corey Dennis the prospective new Ohio State quarterbacks coach on Jan. 1, and no last minute surprises changed that plan.

Dennis, a senior quality control coach with the Buckeyes, was officially promoted to the position to replace Mike Yurcich Friday according to an announcement from the team.

Yurcich left after one season to become the offensive coordinator at Texas following the Fiesta Bowl.

“Corey is a talented young coach and someone I’ve worked closely alongside for three seasons,” Ohio State head coach Ryan Day said in the announcement. “He knows our system and he knows how we teach. I think he is going to allow us to develop some continuity in the quarterback room, and that’s important. I also believe that he is going to be an excellent recruiter for us.”

Dennis, former head coach Urban Meyer’s son-in-law, has been a part of the Buckeye coaching staff for the past five seasons. After working as an intern in 2015, Dennis became an offensive graduate assistant in 2016 and was promoted to a senior quality control coach ahead of the 2018 season.

Dennis was thought to be joining Colorado State head coach Steve Addazio’s staff as the quarterbacks coach, but he’ll stay in Columbus instead.

Among those to offer their congratulations to Dennis following the early reports of his promotion were former Buckeye quarterback Dwayne Haskins and wide receiver Michael Thomas.