a

Ohio State redshirt senior forward Miguel Fidler (12) battles Omaha freshman defenseman Brandon Scanlin (4) for the puck during the Ohio State-Omaha game Oct.18. Ohio State won 3-2. Credit: Mackenzie Shanklin | Lantern reporter

Ohio State men’s hockey was swept for just the second time all season this weekend.

The No. 6 Buckeyes (15-8-3, 8-6-2-0 Big Ten) dropped a pair of games to Minnesota (9-10-4, 4-5-4-3) in Minneapolis, with a 6-3 result Friday and a 4-1 loss Saturday.

Game 1

Ohio State was up 2-1 in the second period of Friday’s game, but four unanswered scores from Minnesota through a stretch in the second and third period proved the difference.

It was freshman forward Tate Singleton that scored the go-ahead goal in the seventh minute of the second, but five minutes later an unassisted goal from Minnesota sophomore forward Sampo Ranta kickstarted an onslaught from the Gophers’ offense.

With three minutes left in the game, Minnesota had jumped out to a 5-2 lead following goals from freshmen forwards Jonny Sorenson and Jaxon Nelson and junior forward Brannon McManus.

Ohio State senior forward Carson Meyer attempted to lead a comeback, scoring to cut the Minnesota lead to 5-3 than two minutes left in the third, but it wouldn’t be enough.

Minnesota added one more score from Ranta to close it out 6-3.

Eleven minutes into the first period, Ohio State sophomore forward Quinn Preston scored his 10th goal of the year and the first goal of the game for the Buckeyes.

Game 2 

Ohio State fared no better in the weekend’s second matchup, falling by a three-score margin for a second straight night.

Unlike Friday, the Buckeyes never led, and the Gophers picked up right where they left off with three early scores.

Ranta scored his third goal of the series midway into the second period, and Minnesota already held a commanding 3-0 lead that it wouldn’t relinquish.

A turnover in Ohio State’s zone led to the first goal of the night less than five minutes into the game, as Minnesota freshman forward Bryce Brodzinski converted to put the Gophers on the board.

McManus scored his second goal of the series eight minutes into the second period to extend the lead.

A slashing penalty on Brodzinski early in the third left the door open for the Buckeyes, and Meyer scored for the second time in as many games to cut the lead to 3-1.

But Minnesota freshman forward Ben Meyers picked up his third point of the game with a power play goal following an Ohio State tripping penalty.

All Minnesota natives, Ohio State head coach Steve Rohlik, redshirt senior defenseman Wyatt Ege, redshirt senior forward Miguel Fidler and freshman defenseman James Marooney left their home state with two losses.

However, the Buckeyes will have a chance to get back in the win column when they head to Ann Arbor for a weekend series against Michigan next weekend.