a

Ohio State then-redshirt freshman pitcher Seth Lonsway (11) throws a pitch in the Buckeyes’ game against Hawaii March 23. Ohio State won 7-5. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Managing Editor for Multimedia

The second series of the year for Ohio State baseball did not go as planned.

The Buckeyes (2-4) were swept in a three-game set by No. 19 Georgia Tech (6-1), outscored a combined 29-8 by the Yellow Jackets.

Game 1

A hot start from the Yellow Jackets doomed the Buckeyes in a 12-4 loss Friday. 

Georgia Tech grabbed three runs in the first inning, then broke open the game with nine combined runs in the third and fourth innings.

Georgia Tech freshman first baseman Drew Compton had a career day, going 4-for-5 with a home run and two runs scored to lead the Yellow Jacket offense.

Ohio State sophomore pitcher Garrett Burhenn struggled in his second start of the season, allowing 11 runs on 14 hits in just three innings of work.

Offensively, Ohio State senior shortstop Noah West collected his first home run of 2020, but the 12 runs scored by Georgia Tech in the first four innings proved insurmountable despite a three-run sixth from the Buckeyes.

One silver lining for the Buckeyes was the performances of senior pitcher Jake Vance and sophomore Will Pfennig, who allowed no runs and just three hits in five innings of relief work.

Game 2 

Errors and mistakes were the tale of the tape for the Buckeyes in the second game, as they were defeated 5-2.

Redshirt sophomore pitcher Seth Lonsway rolled through his start, striking out 12 with three hits allowed in five innings. He allowed four runs, but only one was earned.

The Yellow Jackets struck early again, collecting three runs in the third inning off of an error from sophomore center fielder Nolan Clegg and an ensuing wild pitch from Lonsway. 

Ohio State got on the board in the second and seventh inning, but weren’t able to consistently find offense against Georgia Tech sophomore pitcher Cort Roedig, who allowed just one run and one hit in six innings of work. 

The bullpens on both sides were impressive, with Ohio State allowing one run and one hit from the pitching trio of sophomore TJ Brock, sophomore Mitch Milheim and senior Joe Gahm in three innings. 

Georgia Tech sophomore closer Andy Archer shut it down for the Yellow Jackets, going three innings and allowing just one run on zero hits to collect a save. 

Game 3

A 12-2 loss for the Buckeyes Sunday followed a similar format to the first two games of the series.

Ohio State junior pitcher Griffan Smith, a southpaw, took the mound, but lasted just 1.2 innings after allowing three runs on three hits.

Sophomore Bayden Root took over for Smith, but couldn’t improve Ohio State’s standing, giving up four runs on four hits in 3.1 innings. The Yellow Jackets produced consistent offense, scoring a run in eight of nine innings. 

Junior right fielder Baron Radcliff and freshman outfielder Stephen Reid each recorded three RBI to lead the Georgia Tech offense.

The pitching was sharp once again for the Yellow Jackets, who limited the Buckeyes to just two runs Sunday. Five Georgia Tech pitchers saw work and allowed a combined four hits.

Georgia Tech freshman pitcher Zach Maxwell got the start and shut down the Buckeye offense, going five innings and allowing just one run and one hit.

The Buckeyes will seek recovery in a three-game series at Lipscomb beginning Friday.