Ohio State junior goaltender Tommy Nappier (37) lets a puck gets by him during the third period of Ohio State-Omaha. Ohio State lost 2-1. Credit: John Huether | For The Lantern

In its 144th year meeting its archrival for a hockey contest, No. 11 Ohio State (16-9-3, 9-7-2-0 Big Ten) split its weekend series against Michigan (11-12-3, 6-8-2-1) in Ann Arbor. 

The end of Game 1 resulted in the Buckeyes being clipped by the Wolverines 3-2; however, the Buckeyes came back during Game 2, winning the 4-1. 

Game 1 

The Wolverines captured Game 1 3-2 in a back-and-forth affair that was tied at 1-1 and 2-2.

Ohio State junior goaltender Tommy Nappier stopped 39 shots, but the three that snuck past were enough to hand his team a loss after it was outshot 42-27.

His team tied at 2 despite outshooting its opponent severely, Michigan senior forward Will Lockwood collected a rebound and wrapped around the opposing net to finish a game-winning goal.

The Wolverines held three different leads Friday, and the third was decisive.

Michigan junior forward Michael Pastujov stuck back a rebound to give the Wolverines their initial 1-0 first-period lead.

That lead nearly expanded to 2-0, but a Wolverine goal was overturned for offsides after Ohio State head coach Steve Rohlik issued a challenge.

Ohio State senior forward Carson Meyer came through with a response 4:33 into the second period. The shot was originally intended as a pass, but it deflected off an opposing player’s skate and past Michigan sophomore goaltender Strauss Mann.

Michigan freshman defenseman Cam York regained the advantage on a four-by-four strike over Nappier’s glove.

With less than nine minutes to play, Ohio State freshman defenseman Grant Gabriele gave the Buckeyes another response on the power play to even the score at 2-2.

That wouldn’t be enough, however, as Lockwood sealed the contest minutes later.

Game 2 

Ohio State took control of Game 2 and didn’t relinquish it, cruising to a 4-1 win.

Michigan again outshot the Buckeyes, this time 36-21, but the Buckeyes made the most of the opportunities they had.

Ohio State senior defenseman Matt Miller struch 43 seconds into the game, setting an early tone for the Buckeyes.

A player’s first career goal extended the advantage, as freshman forward Jaedon Leslie cashed in nine minutes after the first goal to go ahead 2-0.

Nappier saved 35 of 36 shots.

Michigan tried its best to mount a response, but failed to overcome Ohio State despite a goal by junior forward Jack Becker.

It took nearly 18 minutes of game time, but Ohio State punched in another goal to grow its lead to 3-1, this time by junior forward Austin Pooley.

The final goal came on an empty net to secure a 4-1 final.

The Buckeyes return home this weekend to play Penn State at 7 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Saturday.