a

Ohio State then-freshman defender Lisa Bruno (22) attempts to slow a Gopher fast break in the first period of the game against Minnesota on Jan. 19. Ohio State won 3-2. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Managing Editor for Design

It’s been more than four years since Ohio State women’s hockey won at Minnesota Duluth.

Friday, the No. 5 Buckeyes (17-6-5, 10-4-4 WCHA) will try to shake their road struggles off against the No. 9 Bulldogs (13-9-4, 8-7-3). 

Since their most recent encounters Nov. 15 and Nov. 16, both teams have moved up in the national standings. Ohio State has spent 18 weeks in the top 10, while Minnesota Duluth has spent 16 weeks in that upper echelon.

“Duluth is a really tough team, and it’s a great challenge for us going into playoffs,” Ohio State junior forward Emma Maltais said. “I’m hoping we could put up a good fight and understand they’re going to put it right back to us.”

Three Buckeyes scored to hand Ohio State a 3-1 victory in the first meeting between the schools. Ohio State junior goaltender Lynsey Wallace stood on her head with 33 saves in the win. 

The second game ended in a 1-1 tie with just a one-shot difference between the two squads. Both teams went scoreless in the first and third periods.

Regardless of the late scoring pattern of the series, Ohio State head coach Nadine Muzerall said it’s not a factor that impacts the team mentally. 

“Statistically, if we win the [opening] period, we tend to win the game,” Muzerall said. “We’re really trying to capitalize on that first period, and that goes back to our mental toughness — holding that lead throughout those competitive 40 minutes left.”

Muzerall said she expects a physical set between the two conference foes.

In the November series, the two teams averaged a combined 6.5 penalties per game.

“We have size, speed and strength, and they have that too, which is why you get so many penalties throwing your weight around,” Muzerall said. “We play similar in physicality.”

Throughout this week’s preparation, Muzerall said she has specifically targeted practice power plays and penalty kills in practice. 

Against Bemidji State, Maltais’ power play goal helped move her up to No. 6 in Buckeye career points with a score of 129. 

“It’s been great these last few weeks. Any way I can contribute, whether that’s putting points up on the board or backchecking, working my tail off in the forecheck, anything that can help,” Maltais said.

The Bulldogs hold the nation’s No. 3 scoring defense and No. 4 scoring offense. 

Sophomore forward Gabbie Hughes and senior forward Sydney Brodt are the team’s top scorers. Each scored goals in the previous series against the Buckeyes this season.

Minnesota Duluth is coming off a split against then-No. 2 Minnesota, as it completed a shutout win in the series’ closer, capping the score at 2-0.

The series will commence at 4:07 p.m. both Friday and Saturday in Duluth, Minnesota.