a

Ohio State then-junior midfielder Liza Hernandez (12) avoids the defender at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Ohio State lost 10-15 against Michigan on March 21, 2019. Credit: Gretchen Rudolph | For The Lantern

Ohio State women’s lacrosse will start a new chapter when it opens the book on a new season Friday.

The Buckeyes go head to head with Duquesne at home following a 9-8 season a year ago that saw Ohio State lose all but one conference game.

After winning just two Big Ten matchups in the past three years, 2019 was the final season for nine-year head coach Alexis Venechanos –– who has been replaced by Amy Bokker and a staff that includes new associate coach Kristen Carr and volunteer coach Lyndsey Munoz.

“Across the field there is a lot of learning with the brand new coaches. They have so much knowledge. It’s incredible to learn from them –– taking advantage of all aspects on and off the field,” Ohio State senior midfielder Regina Doty said.

In her limited time as head coach, Bokker has gotten to work implementing her philosophy for the team.

“We just want to step out with a lot of energy, compete and set the tone for what we want the season to be. We’ve been focusing on our core values, which are courage, love, pride, growth and to be elite,” Bokker said.

The Buckeyes and Dukes have not faced each other since the 2017 season, when Ohio State dominated Duquesne with a final score of 17-5 in Pittsburgh. Since then, Ohio State hasn’t been the only team to make a change at the head coaching position.

Corinne Desrosiers began her first season as the Dukes’ head coach in 2019 –– a year in which Duquesne more than doubled its win total from the season prior.

“Every game and every opponent are brand new,” Doty said. “We’re not looking at the record of the past, but looking forward. No matter what their past rankings are, we’re going to attack and approach every single game with the same mentality.”

The Buckeyes and Dukes finished with the same overall record this past season, but Duquesne outscored Ohio State by nearly triple digits, holding a 270-194 goals advantage.

Bokker isn’t paying the numbers much mind, though.

“We haven’t been too statistically focused yet. We are more focused on playing as a team and being threatening,” Bokker said. 

The Buckeyes will need to watch out for Duquesne senior midfielder Rilee Bradshaw –– the Dukes’ leading scorer whose 54 goals were good for No. 2 in the Atlantic 10 Conference a season ago.

On the other side of the field, Ohio State lost its top scorer from a season ago. Midfielder Baley Parrott scored 10 more goals than any other Buckeye, but senior midfielder and second-leading scorer Liza Hernandez returns having netted 35 in 2018-19.

“We’re really focused on showing the world what Buckeye lacrosse means to us and how we are going to showcase that,” Doty said. 

Bokker and the Buckeyes’ new chapter will begin at 7 p.m. Friday at home against the Dukes.