a

Former Ohio State redshirt junior safety Jahsen Wint and junior cornerback Amir Riep were arrested on charges of rape and kidnapping Tuesday, Feb. 11. Credit: Courtesy of the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department

Amir Riep and Jahsen Wint are no longer Ohio State football players, and are scheduled for an arraignment hearing Thursday morning on charges of rape and kidnapping.

After being arrested on first-degree felony counts, the former Buckeye defensive backs were suspended Tuesday and dismissed from the program Wednesday, and the pair now awaits an arraignment hearing scheduled for 9 a.m. Thursday.

“I have dismissed Amir Riep and Jahsen Wint from our football program. I am not making any statement on the criminal charges, but it is clear they did not live up to our standards and my expectations,” head coach Ryan Day said in a statement. “The athletics department will make sure they both continue to have access to the health and well-being resources available to students and student-athletes. Due to the ongoing criminal investigation, I will not be commenting further.”

Sam Shamansky, an attorney representing Wint in court, said his client was wrongly accused and “eager to face his accuser in court.” Shamansky said Wint is a “law-abiding citizen, and he shouldn’t be in jail.”

“We’re going to try to persuade the judge to set a reasonable bond so he can fight this case outside instead of inside,” Shamansky said. He said Wint turned himself in and has cooperated with the police because he has “absolutely nothing to hide.”

According to an affidavit filed by Columbus Police Tuesday, the incident is alleged to have occurred at approximately 9:45 p.m. Feb. 4, when a 19-year-old woman began to engage in consensual sex with Riep before moving away and stating she did not want to continue.

According to the complaint, Riep grabbed the woman by the neck, forced her onto her hands and knees and raped her. Riep then held her in place while Wint forced oral penetration, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit said Riep recorded a video of the woman and told her to say it was consensual while she was crying and he laughed at her. The statement said Riep then drove the victim back to her residence.

Riep and Wint are currently being held at the Franklin County Correctional Center.

This isn’t the first time the football program –– or even Day –– has dealt with similar situations.

In September 2018, Ohio State running back Brian Snead was suspended after being listed as a suspect in a police report detailing a rape of a student. Snead was dismissed from the university Nov. 27 after a university investigation found him in violation of the Code of Student Conduct. Criminal charges were not pressed.

At the time of Snead’s suspension, former head coach Urban Meyer had been partially reinstated from a three-game suspension for his handling of former wide receivers coach Zach Smith, but Day had served as interim head coach up until that point. 

Snead faced charges of nonconsensual sexual intercourse and contact, but no criminal charges were filed, Ben Johnson, Ohio State spokesperson, said in an email to The Lantern in June.

“Ohio State does not tolerate sexual assault,” Johnson said. “The safety and well-being of our community is our first priority. In this case, the individual was found in violation of our code of student conduct and removed from the university.”

Johnson said there is currently no additional information on whether Riep and Wint’s enrollment at the university is in jeopardy. 

Bri’onte Dunn, a former Ohio State running back from 2012 to ’15, was charged with rape Oct. 5, 2017, but was found not guilty on two counts Oct. 19, 2018.

Dunn was dismissed from the football team in 2015 for a violation of team rules. 

He was later charged with domestic violence and assault, though the domestic assault charges were dismissed. He was found guilty of assault charges Feb. 6, 2017, but his 180-day jail sentence was suspended and not served, according to court documents.